1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Value of Cables with Right-Angle Plugs.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I had a gig at the Red House (Walnut Creek, CA) a few weeks back which went rather well, but I did run into one problem... twice in a row.

Straight plugs on instrument cables are NOT your best friend if you run a pedalboard. Our band's rhythm guitarist accidentally stepped on the plug coming out of my last pedal twice in a row, completely killing my sound and forcing me to rush down to the floor to fix it each time.

I'm using right-angle plugs from now on. They're guitarist-proof. :D

2. Wow. That is one klutzy 2nd guitarist. Any chance this was on purpose? I mean twice in one gig? Really?

In my experience the right angle plugs can be less reliable and more difficult to repair. Less so with some of the newer designs. I use right angles coming out of the instrument to straight plugs in to my pedal board. Never had a problem like that but my setup is for two basses that each plug into a Whirlwind Selector switch with the inputs in the back instead of the side. That way there are no plugs hanging off the side of the pedal board.

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Nah, we're on excellent terms. His pedalboard just happened to be next to mine, and he moves around a lot like I do. I'm surprised I didn't step on his board by accident - it wasn't a very big stage, and our roving singer made it hard to not run into anything.

Or anyone.

I managed to nearly break our singer's knuckles by accident with my Stingray's headstock. He should have looked behind him before getting close to the bass-swinging maniac. :D

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have rehearsed at Red House a number of times. Did you do a showcase? What do you think of the place?

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    We actually had our first gig there on March 7. We opened for a few other local metal bands.

Nice place - surprisingly clean and cozy, too (I've grown accustomed to the grittier places like the Uptown and 924 Gilman :D). I was surprised by how small the room was. I didn't realize it had rehearsal spaces and a studio until I spent a little time walking around in there before the gig. It's nice to know what our options are for studios around here.

We've got another gig coming up at Betty's Rock Bar on the 27th. The atmosphere might be more up my alley, and my guitarist has informed me that we'll have more stage space this time.

Of course, it can't get any smaller than the stage space at Gilman - and that has a pretty big capacity, too! :meh:

6. I agree that 90 degree plugs are the way to go, at least on the guitar end. They simply don't stick out as far, and therefore are not as prone to damage from contact with feet or other objects. If something grabs that cable, a 90 degree plug exerts MUCH less leverage on the jack and the pickguard, reducing the chance of damage to either one. it makes perfect sense to me.

I like them on the pedal side too, IF the layout and pedal design makes it possible to use them. However, on a board if one sets the first pedal in from the edge a couple of inches, there is little potential for problems because the body of the plug isn't hanging over the edge of the board.

7. Even thou my main instrument cable is one I bought from Butch over at 'Bayou Cables, I also make my own. One very good lesson I took to heart from him was to always use 'G & H' connectors. Now thats the only brand I buy. When I build a cable, one end always has a 90-degree G & H on it. They are extremely easy to work with and robust to a fault. You do indeed get a better, safer profile with a 90-degree end.

8. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Personally, I would recommend barbed wire. Especially for a metal band!:)

9. I did that to the singer of my last band once. He had four open-gear tuners imprinted on his hand for a couple of hours after that. If he hadn't been holding the mic up to his mouth, I probably would have knocked out some teeth.

10. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    And if you have an older Jazz Bass, with straight-in jack on the front of the body, they're pretty much mandatory.

11. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I like the angle end on my side mounted bass jack, no plug sticking out to whack when I put it on a stand or even against my leg. I usually run the plug facing up, with the velcro tie around my strap to ensure that it doesn't get pulled out if it's stepped on.

I use planet waves, which have a lifetime guarantee.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I usually loop my cable through my strap, therefore no pull out problems.

13. OMG, at my last gig with the pop group I play for, the gui**** stepped on his cable and pulled it out of his BOSS pedal tuner. Him and the 'sound guy' run over to the amp and start checking its power and knobs... I was like 'that cables out right there,' and off we went...but dang, I can't stand musicians who are careless/ignorant with set-ups of equipment--i mean, its simple signal flow, just follow the guitar to the amp and you'll find the problem in seconds (in this case at least). Enough ranting, but I never really realized that a right angle plug would have prevented this... Good tip!

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You have a strap on your pedalboard? Because that's the problem experienced by our OP. Maybe he needs to ditch the right angles and just get a pedalboard strap!
    ;)

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, we're talking about the other end. For that, I have these little hook things that grab a cable. You can get them in the bins at hardware stores sometimes.

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The only reason why it wouldn't work in my case was because he actually stepped on the metal plug itself.

I'm lucky he didn't break the output jack of my Mistress (the last pedal in the chain, and an essential pedal for two songs). :eek:

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ok, i think I see the main problem here... Kick the guitarist! :D :ninja:

18. I took a head stock to the side of the face once.

19. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    If the output jack is located at the side of the instrument, I think 90-degree plug there is pretty much mandatory. 90-degree plug, wrapping the cable around the strap - no surprises and also more looks more aesthetic. With a straight plug is sucks to have the cable hit your leg all the time, when I had to use it made me pissed.
    Straight plugs are okay for Fenders and other basses with output at the top, though. A sizable cable loop even adds to the athmosphere IMO...

20. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    +1 for that, my rhythm guitarist doesn't get that and he's always stepping on his cable and ripping it out of the jack (not good when he's playing through a 100 watt tube head/marshall 4x12)