The value of filling out your profile and reading the profile of others

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cb56, Aug 30, 2003.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sorry if i'm stating the obvious here. I know I can be kinda SLOW sometimes. I think it would be cool if everybody would take some time to fill out their profiles to give an accurate representation of themselves. Age, style of music played,of course gear owned influences etc... I have decided for myself that I will take the time to read the profiles of others before responding to them just so I can get a feel where they are coming from. See told ya I'm kinda slow. I'm an average Joe type of guy who has a day job and gigs on weekends with my cover band. I think the info in my profile reflects that. While I feel that everybody's opinion has value and I certainly can learn from everyone from full time pros to newbies. I think it would be helpful in approaching a conversation.
    For instance If I were talking to someone who was a full time pro, I certainly would put value in what that person has to say about touring full time and all that goes along with it. If I were talking to a teenage kid just starting out, I may be able to offer some advice since I've been in his/her position before. Maybe saving them some grief by advising them to avoid thuis or that etc...
    reading a properly filled out profile could also help you to avoid discussing some "hot button" issues with someone if you knew they might be sensitive to that issue.
    If someones profile read that they played bass in church in a praise and worship band. That could lead to discussion on that subject if that's what suits you. Or you could avoid talking to that person altogether If that topic bothers you.
    If someone describes them self as psycho, and Evil and lists Satan as a musical influence or teacher. Well then you kinda know where that person is coming from and may want to consider that in your discussion or choose not to talk with that person all together.
    anyway just a friendly suggestion from an average Joe bass player. Fill out those profiles so we can all read them and get to know each other better, or not.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Very good idea! Everyone should fill out their profiles, if nothing else, to get a better understanding of that person. Like, if he's an old fart, then I would just take his biased opinion as STUPID. But when I get older, if I see that he is a young punk, i'll ignore him to.

It just all depends.

(But seriously folks, fill em out!)
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Mines been filled out since day 1 :cool:

Infact, I'll go check it, see if it needs updating ;)
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I always thought their was an occupation style section? Damn, I was looking forward to seeing my trademark ; 'scruffy student' satisfy that criteria!
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    profile, websites, recent posts... I run the gambit some times.

I try to update my profile when ever something major changes.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am always updating my profile, because I can't make up my mind about things.

Good post.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good post!:) I updated mine just the other day.

I don't take people with a blank profile as seriously as I do those who take time to fill theirs in.