Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The value of the venue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suburban, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    We all read, and some write, that this and that cab or amp or bass or whatever has this sound. That is not true. It is the complete system, that has a certain sound. And we tend to forget the final link in the chain: the room.
    It became imabrrasingly clear to me yesterday, when I took my very much disliked Carlsbro out to a tent gig.
    Indoors, I have never like the sound. strange resonances, drifting eq and very peculiar speaker effects occur at random. In all rooms I have tried it in.
    In the tent, with the grass "floor", soft walls and a rather damp speaker element, the tone was big, warm, well centered. In one word: nice!

So when you consider sound, remember to consider *your* venu, and try to test your gear in that environment before buying.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's absolutely true.
    But imagine how good your 'dream rig' would have sounded in that tent where even your Carlsbro sounded fine ;)

Matthias

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Heh, quite. Or maybe not!:eek:

What I was saying was,
    a: a sound system is hard to grasp:rolleyes:
    b: sound varies with the room:(

b leads to:
    c: you can't trust a test, even an AB test, in a room where you will not be playingd: comments like "I love the Eden sound" or "Glockenklang sounds the best" are pretty daft, if you excuse me using the first word that entered my mind. Otherwise, too, BTW... No depreciation of those two brands intended, nor of owners - of some owners statements, though ;)

Bottom line: test your dream rig at your main arena. And behold....

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes and no.
    An A/B test is a very good way to compare two amps (or cabs, whatever) - even in a room you don't know well and where you are not going to play (=in a shop) because you will clearly hear differences in coloration, frequency responce, clarity, attack, etc. However it is hard to imagine how an amp which sounds fine (or bad) in a shop will perform in a band situation - unless you have a lot of experience. And most likely you will realize the full benefits of high quality gear only in difficult situations - e.g. when boominess becomes a major issue.
    I see only one way to do this: rent or borrow your dream rig to play a gig - unfortunately this is not possible in many cases.

Matthias