The Velvet Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Sep 26, 2000.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have this friend... yes.. friend... who, for some crazy idea, wants to cover his backup bass in velvet just cause it would look pimped out. Does anyone know what kind of effect that would have on tone? Does anyone have any experience in the field of bass textiles?
  2. That would be SOO cool, here where I live, some strange person has covered her bike in velvet, I mean the LOT. That looks so cool. I would do it too if I had a nice backup, ahh maybe Ill do it anyway. What coulour is he going to have? I vote for Wine Red.
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Didn't Elvis have a Black Velvet covered guitar? ;)
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Way back a long long time ago (1970 I think)a friend of mine had a very nice Vox Phantom bass which for some reason he got covered in this velvet stuff.I think the trade name was "Velvetex" or something.
    The object to be coated (in this case the bass body) was covered with glue and then a chopped up fibre was 'fired' at it from some kind of spray gun giving it a velvet finish.
    Anyway, WAS NOT a success!
    It was a bit like stuffing a pillow under your strings!....dead or what!
    I remember having to spend hours scraping this stuff off and refinishing it for him properly.....with paint!