Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Mar 12, 2002.

1. One of my favorite albums EVER!!!!!

I never see it mentioned here.

Discuss.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    yeah, um, like,

what about that Andy Warhol cover?

A banana? Real deep.

Actually, it's a very weird album. I always thought VU was the New York counterpart of The Doors. Lou Reed's lyrics helped reinforce that impression.

3. I've heard people say the same thing, but I've never gotten it.

I never really liked the Doors at all, but have loved the VU since I've first heard them.

4. I love the VU! Awesome band!
    I've always seen the connection between the VU and the Doors. The biggest one- the lyrics and themes of the songs. In a time of hippies and peace signs, instead of singing about life and love, both the Doors and the VU sang about death and sex. Both bands were very dark. Instead of wearing flowers and robes, Morrison and Reed wore skin tight leather, both bands explored the decedent side of life, and the both bands prided themselves on poetic lyrics. Just compare 'Heroin' and 'The End'.
    Also, on another level some of the songs did sound similar, they were weird and out there, but remained melodic. The Doors always said that they felt that they were a New York band, even though they come from LA, and the VU prided themselves on being a New York band. Also both bands had links to Andy Warhol.
    Jim

5. The Velvets rock! They're IMO, one of the best, and the most influential band of the 60's (the Beatles squeek ahead....but there are so many Beatle-influenced bands that suck). Personally, I like them better than the Doors. The Doors were good, and I do like some of their stuff, but Jim Morrison seems to cold and full of himself when he sings. Lou Reed's singing and lyrics always seem to have an underlying bittersweetness to them, like a Paul Auster novel. The velvets were the best background for him to express himself, and a bunch of great musicians to boot. Though, Nico's voice really creeps me out sometimes.
    I also enjoy Reed's solo stuff, especially Metal Machine Madness, not so much for the music, but basically that he was flicking off the whole music industry. We need more people like that in music, no more fake rebels.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What a coincidence - I just printed off the lyrics to "Rock n' Roll" (now that's what I call "driving-at-80mph-music") and "Sweet Jane." I recently told one of my bands I'd show up at a gig with a Gorilla amp and a Samick if we didn't work them into the set list.

The "banana" cover was sort of a Warhol joke. There was a rumor going around in the late 60's that smoking banana peels got you off. You could peel the skin off the banana on the album cover to reveal.....(use your imagination)....jeez, CD's and DVD's are just no fun compared to vinyl.

White Light/White Heat and some cuts from VU hit my turntable regularly.

I heard the Velvets in the late 60's standing outside the Whiskey au Go-Go in St. Louis. I was in 9th grade, so we couldn't go in but I had a friend old enough to drive us. Looking in the window, I shocked to see either Reed or Cale using the same amp I had!!! - a 2x12 Sears Silvertone! :eek: :eek:

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Very cool anecdote Rickbass. I'm also glad you cleared up the whole banana peel thing too. :D

I love both VU and The Doors, but I like the Doors more because VU are basically a garage band (which is part of their "thing" I guess you could say), where The Doors were amazing musicians. (Ray Manzerek doesn't get enough credit for his musical talent)

One of the best things to do is listen to VU's The Murder Mystery at night with headphones on. That's some crazy stuff with each part of the song being panned hard left or hard right out of the head phones.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guess you didn't know that John Cale had a serious classical music resume. Interesting since he was the biggest noisemeister in the band :cool:

I'm still convinced more people claim to like the VU than those who really do. The first two albums are pretty rough listening, especially "European Son", "I Heard Her Call My Name" and "Sister Ray"...once Cale left things got a little more normal.

I think it's hilarious that over half the VU releases came out long after they broke up :eek: