The Ventures versus The R & R Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rumblethump, Nov 4, 2003.

1. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    This old fart remembers back in the 60's when if you didn't own a strat or jazzmaster and play Ventures music, you weren't considered a player. I constantly read where todays great players mention playing Ventures music, but still they are not in the Hall of Shame, I mean Fame. They have released more albums than 99% of the people there, yet still no recognition! This band has been around for 42 years and still going. Is this just an oversight or are they being left out intentionally? Is it because they played only instrumentals? Aren't instrumental songs also a part of Rock and Roll's history? How does one go about getting this band considered for this prestigious honor? If anyone here feels as strongly as I do, (Walk, Don't Run) please contact me and lets get this travesty corrected. End of rant. :mad:
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

music related = not OT = will be moved
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Fine rant, rumble.

I learned a lot from their "Play Guitar with the Ventures" albums and still have one.

Plus along with Semie Mosrite, they were seminal in the development of the electric guitar/bass.

I didn't know they weren't in the Hall......that's a travesty.
  4. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Oh YEAH, I also bought both my Mosrite Guitar and Bass thanks to the Ventures influence. Was there ever a narrower neck guitar? How about Hand Vibrato's, now called whammy bars. I don't remember too many songs with there use before the Ventures. LOL I got to meet Nokie Edwards after a concert at Circle Star Theater. A very gracious gentleman. I still have an autographed Slaughter on 10th avenue album I will always treasure.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've met Nokie a couple times, too. One thing he loves just as much as guitar playing is telling one-liners.

When Nokie lived up here, him and my dad were pretty close and played together quite a bit. I've heard quite a few pretty cool stories.

It is kind of nice that he is getting a bit more recognition these days. From what I've heard, 10-15 years ago, after Nokie would be done with a gig/jam night, he would just be sitting on the front of a stage playing and nobody would be paying attention to him. Really similar to the funk brothers.

It is a shame the Ventures don't get as much recognition as they should, but they seem to be more respected today than 10 years ago.

EDIT: What was your first Ventures album? The first album of the Ventures that I personally bought was Flights of Fantasy.
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Seminal guitar band.

I grew up on that stuff. He was one of the first really hot, clean players.

Hall of Fame? Absolutely. I never perused the roll call at the Hall, I'm sure I'd find a bunch of people not there.

Songs I liked? Slaughter on 10th Ave., Telstar, Caravan, Sleepwalk, WDR.

Nokie couldn't probably get a commercial like Dick Dale even. No retro respect.

The only band that was ever close in that clean guitar sound was probably 'The Shadows', Hank Marvin et al.

Boy, am I dating myself ...

Did Zappa ever make the HAll of Fame? Not that He would have cared... just curious!

7. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Thor, yes Zappa was inducted. Now here is something very interesting. After searching their site for information on inductees I found this:

For questions about the induction process, write to the following postal address (the Foundation does not have an e-mail address):

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
    1290 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10104

Uh, am I mistaken, is this not 2003? Doesn't everyone have an e-mail addy? Simply amazing.

Well, off to Word to write my snail mail.

PS: Nokie could play circles around Dick Dale.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Probably have it, but refuse to post it to keep the riffraff { like us } from annoying them with stupid requests.

You get get serious about it to fire up WORD!

Go, brother!
  9. Still got a Mosrite combo 1968.

even thinking of selling it.[​IMG]