1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ventures,--Walk dont run

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Slaphound, May 26, 2007.

1. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I just saw an ad on Amazon.com for a "Best of the Ventures" cd. Any one know more than "WAlk dont Run"?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I listened to the best of the ventures at a friends house, can't recall any tunes, but they were all really fun.

3. I have a record of how to play guitar with the ventures. It's actually really funny.

4. no it's not.

buy the album... you'll be amazed. the songs are awesome.

5. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Nokie Edwards is a great guitarist. The Ventures have influenced a lot of players and get very little recognition for it. There was a campaign to get them inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I haven't seen how it's turned out yet.

Have you heard the "Live in Japan '65" album (not sure of the exact title)? It's very good. Nokie's solos on "Wipeout" and "Bulldog" are great!

I saw them live once and they are very dynamic and full sounding.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I remember having to learn some of their songs for a 3 piece show I did, not the most thrilling material, even from that era!

7. i don't agree... i love listening to it & the thril is in the sounds & how tight they are.
    Their "hits" are the most boring songs. it's when you get into their not-so-famous songs that they get really, really cool.

they are like the "white meters" :)

8. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    They were a great band with a completely unique sound that was simultaneously recognizable within two notes.

9. i couldn't have said it better myself.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1

I only have the Ventures' albums from the Nokie years. His playing with the Ventures is relatively simple, but his touch and tone are amazing. If you want to hear him burn it up, check out his country tunes. I have some tapes of him sitting in with my dad's band back in the day, and there is an incredible presense of Nokie's genius. Whether he is playing a complicated run or a simple riff, his voice shines.

11. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Great band and CD Steve , good times ! :bassist:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021