Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Ventures

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 19, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have their record walk dont run that is some great stuff ,terrific version of blue moon any other fans out their. Does any one know if they have any other records. Thanks:)

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    They've been around forever. I have some of their early LP's up down in the basement somwhere. They are still making music:

The Ventures Website

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here's some fun - they put out a series of instructional albums, "Play Guitar with the Ventures" (Vol.s 1, 2, & 3). The instruction booklets that came with the albums were an early form of tablature.

Those taught me how to play bass and guitar before I started lessons with a teacher.

Here's a site where you can listen to the instruction given on all those albums http://ventures.pl.ru:8000/music/65-3/

4. This is a blast from the past.

I always thought they were a Japanese band.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The Ventures were one of the first groups i got into. I have quite a few of their LPs. I think "Flights of Fantasy" was the first album i've ever bought. I think all of my venture stuff is from 60's with nokie on guitar. (i walk the line, '64 walk don't run, $1000000 weekend...) I've seen them quite a few times live, and Nokie on some other occasions (my dad is friends with him, but he hasn't seen him much since Nokie moved to oregon.)

6. rickbass

And, I thought I'd add - those old Mosrites whooped Fenders' ass when it came to playability.

7. The new Mosrites are MAD overpriced! But I'd really like to get one.

Guess I'll have to go get a used one...*sigh*

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you guys dig surf guitar then check out some of the muscled up acoustic (oxymoron??) surf tunes done by the California Guitar Trio. They're really great and they do a couple of Ventures tunes also. You can find a lot of live recordings from them on kazaa et al.. Check it out and if you like them catch their most recent tour or buy a CD. They're very interesting to see in concert.

If you're going to download some CGT to check out then I'd particularly recommend Misirlou, Walk Don't Run or Melrose Ave.

brad cook

9. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    "Perfidia"
    "Sleepwalk"
    "Apache"
    "Hawaii Five-0"

Great songs by a great little band

10. MAJOR METAL

Could you name a few of their albums,the only on i have is walk dont run. What are good places to go to get ventures CD's

11. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Uhhhhh...I think that website I posted up there might be a good place to start! :D

12. HA!

I even have a Red Mosrite combo six string. (1968)

13. If you like the Ventures check out "Man or Astroman". They are a more modern take on the surf thang. The Mermen are also pretty cool.

14. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Yeah Astroman is good stuff. everyone go right now to Spinner.com and download their player. they have a great surf station.

Oh, also check out some Dick Dale if you're into the more 'exoctic scales' type of surf. He and the Ventures have always been the two biggest names in surf.

15. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Did you all do as you were told? If you didn't go NOW and download Spinner at www.spinner.com . But seriously they have a bunch of good channels, some really suck (they play the same 10 songs), but that's very few.

16. MAJOR METAL

What album did they get into playing Mosrite's. They are great guitars but the necks are a littel to small.

17. rickbass

AFAIK, it was their album with their hit, "Outer Limits." My first band, (8th grade), played that song at a school talent show and it drove the audience nuts!

But that was the late 60's. I think their albums in the early 60's were mentioning "Mosrite" after they switched from Fenders as well as the Mosrite headstocks decals that mentioned "The Ventures."

Yep, they are "speed demon" necks.

18. MAJOR METAL

just got a new ventures cd,it is a combination of the wild bull record and the ventures in space. This is some really great music. The Ventures in space is when they started with the mosrite's and you can tell their is a change in their style with those guitars. I highly recomend this album