Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Vicious One

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, Mar 10, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I know that the Sex Pistols were put together as a commercial venture of sorts. A Monkees with a severe attitude problem. But I knew that ol' Sid wasn't a good bassist? Is this true? And if so, what made him sooooo bad. I mean, he had to have been marginally talented to play arenas. Right?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he didn't play. he didn't record any of the lines. most of their shows he wouldn't play a note, just be rude and pick fights with the crowd or the rest of the band.

hey, waitaminute....

;)

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    ouch, sounds like a JWC show to me.

4. plus, he was out of his skull a lot of the time on drugs.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, he ended up killing his girlfriend and them himself.

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    what a pillar of the community

7. actually he chose bass over guitar because he felt he could do more damage with it because it was bigger...
    same reason i play bass

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Wrong.
    Or maybe he was talented, just not on bass.

9. if you haven't seen the movie "Sid and Nancy" rent it, that movie explains alot.

best line:

ahh, my bones hurt.

10. hey, has anyone seen "the filth and the fury"? any good?

11. John Lydon brought Sid (real name Brian Richie?) into the band after they got rid of Glen Matlock for his notoriously un-punk musical tastes. Sid was a close friend of Lydon's from childhood, but Sid was a bit unhinged. He got his nickname because he had taken to walking around the neighborhood with a bicycle chain beating dogs and such. Lydon felt that if he were to leave Sid alone for an extended amount of time, Sid might have done serious damage to himself or others. He convinced Malcolm McLaren to let Sid in the Pistols as Matlock's replacement. They tried to teach Sid how to play, but he wa only marginal at best; however, he embodied the punk ethos. When playing live, Sid's amp was usually turned off or not fed into the PA. After the Pistols broke up, everyone went their separate ways and Sid came to the unfortunate end that Lydon had feared.

Later in life, Lydon came to regret abandoning his friend. There is a song called Disappointed on PiL's "Happy" album that describes his regrets.

FWIW, I've heard that The Filth and the Fury is great.

Favorite line from Sid & Nancy - Rotten: "We don't have sex here. Sex is ugly."

12. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    The Sex pistols were **** , so was Sid Vicious bass playing. Check out Public image limited for good music and Jah Wobbles bass playing.

13. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    It's a quite depressive movie but seems to really illustrate who Sid Vicious really was.
    Whatever, a great performance by Gary Oldman.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The only "arena" the Sex Pistols ever played was the Winterland Ballroom in San Fransisco, and that wasn't really an arena (only 5000 people).

Other than that, they played in clubs and smaller venues.

The movie Sid and Nancy is not very close to reality at all, according to John (Rotten) Lydon in his autobiography. Well it was a great performance by Gary Oldman, a lot of things were made up.

Sid could only play a couple of songs that the Sex Pistols did. He was in the hospital with hepatitis when they recorded "Never Mind the Bollocks". Steve Jones played bass on most tracks on that record.

I saw the Sex Pistols play in Milwaukee on their reunion tour back in '96. THey had the original bass player, Glenn Matlock, with them there. Kind of hard for poor old Sid to be there I guess. BUt at least Glenn could play the songs.

And BTW, it was never proven that he murdered Nancy. From what I have read, that is a very controversial issue still to this day.

And THe Filth and the Fury rocks!!!

RYan