1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The view from the cockpit of a U.S. Navy jet fighter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Jim Nazium likes this.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    BUCKETLIST!!!

3. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    I saw aerosols! :bag:

:D

pacojas likes this.
  4. Cool video! Where do I get tickets for a ride-along!?

pacojas likes this.
  5. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to hitch a ride on one of those........thanks for posting.

pacojas likes this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's just scary as hell to me. You want to hear what a man screaming at 400mph sounds like, just put me in one of those.

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I'd be bummed if they only took me 400mph...

PWRL and pacojas like this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    +1

9. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    AWESOME video! Thanks for posting! P'cola NAS is home to the Blue Angels. I've seen them many times, either the 2 shows per year they do here, or often when they are practicing out over the bay when I am fishing. Glad they are on our side! As far as catching a ride, you need to be a celebrity, a politician, or a newscaster. They give rides fairly regularly for PR. I have a special place in my heart for those guys....as my brother was a naval pilot....one of those who gave all. :crying:

For years we were the Thursday night house band at Trader John's....the watering hole for just about every Navy pilot in training ever. One year during the show at the beach, the PA announcer thanked our band for entertaining the team the night before, and called us the "official blues band of the Blue Angels". Thought that was kind of cool! If you can ever see them in person, DO IT! They put on a hell of a show!

Tbone76 and Stewie26 like this.
  10. Thank to OP for posting.
    Great Video. Naval pilots are the best of the best. Btw, 400 mph is fast when you are flying down close to the deck just a few hundred feet above the waves. At higher altitudes and higher speeds you don't get that much of a sensation of speed unless you start playing with the cloud tops as this pilot did in the video.

Joedog likes this.
  11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    You should see them flying 50' above the water.....they leave a wake and spray, almost like a race boat! BTW, a lot of folks who get rides with them either pass out (the high gees cause blood to drain from the brain) or blow lunch.
    drool

Here's a video (with a great song) about some other great (for a different reason) pilots. It still tears me up to watch it, as my bro was one of their special passengers.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Stewie26 likes this.
  12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

True enough, but I've been 600 in a commercial aircraft. The analogy of size to speed absolutely counts, I know that, I drive a lil ole Cabrio. Going 70 in that feels like I'm going like stink! In my '92 cobra going 120 felt kinda "meh".

13. I have heard this song before and it still brings a tear to my eye. My condolences to you and your family for the lost of your brother.

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    thanks for posting, i just sent the link to my father who used to work on carrier based navy helicopters, here's a drawing i made a couple years ago transonic.jpg

Jim Nazium, pacojas and Stewie26 like this.
  15. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    WOW! That is awesome. I hate airplanes and I'm terrified of heights but I've always wanted to ride on one of those.

16. Interesting. I have somewhat a fear of heights, like standing near the edge of a high cliff or being on a very tall scaffold, but I never get that same fear while flying. Maybe cause I feel protected because I am inside the plane. Just sayin.

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    For sure, I hear you. I've always been terrified of flying. I'm not sure why. I was on a plane when I was 7 years old and again 2 years ago at the age of 31. Twice in my life. But I'd kill for a ride in a fighter jet.

18. ^^^^ The most dangerous part of flying is the trip to and from the airport in your car. Actually, I have heard they have classes for people who have a fear of flying.

19. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I have a former co-worker who's husband is a pilot for a major airline. I was telling her about my fear of flying and she said her husband tells people "I want to get home after this flight as much as you do."

Stewie26 and Bocete like this.
  20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    +1

Stewie26 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021