1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Virus and it's effect on your purchasing pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peaveylover, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM.

1. Selling only

5.6%
  2. Buying only

13.3%
  3. Actively avoiding all transactions as a direct effect of virus.

44.4%
  4. Who cares, gimme the deals!

36.7%
  1. Peaveylover

Peaveylover

Dec 6, 2019
    Just want to take the temperature of the people here. Are you buying and selling as regular, or have you calmed it down? If you're buying are you actively avoiding pedals from people in "hot spots" like NYC or Cali?

One would think now is the best time to be a buyer, but who knows? Lots of variables to think about.

I want to sell, but I live in a "hot spot" and am afraid no one will want to take a chance.

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Indirect effect - Lost 1K$ of gig money next month, so no new purchases in the future...

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Food, shelter and basic utilitie 1st.

My 2 cents

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I am learning how to better use the pedals I already have rather than selling/buying more. Already paying off nicely!

5. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    All my pedals have sheltered in place since my gigs are cancelled. I'll go back to the buy/sell/trade action once this thing calms down.
    B.

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    No gigs, no new toys.
    Basically since there's no money coming in I won't be investing in new gear until things get back on track.
    I have enough pedals to play around and I'm just gonn rediscover some old pedals and put them to good use.

Border and fivestringgecko like this.
  7. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Buy buy buy. That’s always been my policy. Going to take every advantage of the economic slow down by stimulating the pedal market. I spray my mailbox inside and out and any parcels that arrive with Lysol.

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As an effect of the virus and the closure of most shops that do not sell essentials, most of people's shopping has moved online. Out of consideration for the overworked couriers and shipping personnel (I've worked there myself for a few months) I decided to cut back all purchases to the bare minimum. Like 1 item in two weeks. This also goes for everything else.

mikewalker and buldog5151bass like this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    More of a hobbyist so I have no problems doing pedal transactions if it's something I can use...or somebody else needs.

I have a bottle of Madacide I nicked from work.

Riis

equill likes this.
  10. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Need new strings (I wanted to put flats on my Jag, and new strings + an adjustment on my brand new T-Bird), and also I was gassing at an effect unit (I reloy on my computer for this, but I wanted an alternative, like HX Stomp or HX FX) - It all have to wait.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    +1,000,000

I'm losing about $200 a week from no gigs. No buying (pedals or otherwise) until the fall at the earliest.

Nunovsky likes this.
  12. My C4 arrived yesterday, just in time for the end of my language course (the timing might have been deliberate) so I'll get to start playing it in the weekend.
    No particular desire to sell any of them anyway, so no changes to my plans there.

I'll happily give away the one pedal I'm not using, because it's worth nothing, but I also haven't bothered doing anything about it. So no change there, either.

13. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I use the income I make from gigging to buy stuff. All my gigs got cancelled for the foreseeable future. No gigs - no stuff. What sucks is that I was about to finally pull the trigger on a Warlock double P (how great would that be for reggae gigs, haha!) but that dream has yet again been deferred.

Thankfully my millwork shop has been deemed essential, so at least I'm still getting a paycheck and don't have to sell anything off.

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd pretty much stopped actively buying by mid-fall anyway, having a pedalboard that's been working well for me.

...and while all gig money has stopped coming in, I do have a regular job too (yep, it was 100 gigs a year plus day job), so my cash flow remains safe but not quite the same.

But when the new Iron Ether Arcing Prisms showed up yesterday, it seemed interesting enough to order one in anyway.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a few things (parts mostly) on order, a couple of which are in shipment. A couple others may take much longer. I have a bass build in process that might get stuck at 90 percent for a while. That's OK - I have enough basses that one more can wait a bit.

I do mostly volunteer gigs, though I have a few that pay pretty well. All those are shut down now, but my day job, aside from doing things virtually, is up and running.

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The CAD:USD exchange has tanked pretty bad over the last month. Worst time ever for me to buy anything from the US.

I'm also avoiding the local classifies because social distancing.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Slaymus, mikewalker and BurningSkies like this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

No pedal purchases for me. That has absolutely nothing to do with the virus, either directly (fear of contagion) or indirectly (many gig cancellations :().

Bottom line is that I have too many pedals -- yes, you heard that right. ;) I own a bunch of pedals that I love, and it's hard enough to show them all the love (i.e. give them all playing time).

On top of that, recent years have been extravagant :greedy: for me, gear-wise, which is why I have so many pedals. Long before this virus was known, I had planned for 2020 to be an extremely frugal gear year. That's for all gear purchases, not just pedals.

If the above were not true: I suppose I would hold off of impulse purchases due to my lack of gig money. But if one of my favorite pedals broke, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. I buy almost all my gear online, and that's what I'd do.

BurningSkies likes this.
  18. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Haven't spent anything on gear since "The Event" started. But... I am watching for crazy deals, like a creepy old vulture. Waiting for the proverbial "offer I can't refuse".

19. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    I've been a seller. Fortunately, I finished selling 99% of the gear I wanted to sell in January and February before the governmental distancing changes hit my area.

I want to sell my Focusrite 18i20 usb interface, but the used resell prices have really tanked over the last few weeks so I think I'll hold on to it for a while longer.

20. Gigs were cancelled. Unnecessary spending is postponed.