1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The WALL OF FUZZ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mc_muench, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a dream, a simple dream...a dream in which I own a rig that would carpet an entire house in fuzz. To ultimately do this, did a lot of math and scientific stuff, I have calculated that I must acquire 4 2x15's. I already possess one, a Sunn Beta 205, which is important because this cab has a seris/parallel output already in it, in order to keep the second cab I chain to this at 4ohms to maximize my Ampeg B2R's 350watts. I'm in no rush to build what I will call the WALL OF FUZZ, in horror of The Grateful Dead's iconic "Wall of Sound". I will for sure wait to find another Sunn Beta 205 for the second 2x15 chain, my amp has two outputs. But the other 2 2x15's can really be any brand because my overall plan is to find enough JBL K140's to fill all 4 of the cabs, again no rush to find them, would have the money for them quite yet.

Concept drawing of the WALL OF FUZZ
    Photo12081342_1. *bass, FUZZ Monster,and cabs are not drawn to scale with each other, just for you JimmyM

BUT! It seems life has brought me some hope. I just got a new hollowbody bass and I have an acoustic bass that I don't really need any more, my thought was, what does the all great Music-go-round have to offer me? checked their handy website and low and behold I came across this...
    http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/product.aspx?id=1168831

I'm going on Wednesday to see how much of a trade in my acoustic bass is, if its even or closed to it Ill be that much closer to my end goal.

Does anyone have any opinions on these Sonic cabs?

2. I don't know but, it looks like the right direction for WALL OF FUZZ, imho :D

3. Too bad I don't live closer, I've got a Peavey 1820 that would be good to throw into da mix :bassist: :hyper: :bag:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They don't look like your picture.

5. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    its a crappy cell phone pic but I'm Half way to 4 of them!
    Photo12141738.

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Now just get a decent tube head or an older Sunn solid state one and you're good.

7. i want to see a picture of your bass

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    my plans are to get a good tube preamp...and the B2R will hold me until I have all four cabs and stuff them with the JBL's, then Ill probably get something like a SVT7-pro.

another crappy pic of the bass...
    bass.

9. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have no idea about the cabs, but I love the sketch! :)

10. On yer Way :hyper:

11. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    After playing with it I've noticed the Sonic 2x15 is a lot more clear sounding, this might be because the Sunn 2x15 has square back speakers and those tend to be more crunchy, any way its a good mix of the sounds.

Adding the second 2x15 didn't really make it any louder, it just filled the sound out, makes you feel it more...I stacked them horizontally with the Sunn on top because I like that crunchy sound better, so the Sonic is on the bottom to make your feet pulse.

Definitely worth the $60 I spent on this thing.

12. The trick to building your wall of sound will be to have all your speakers presenting an 4 ohm load to your amp, by having two 8 ohm outs. You will need a plastic project box and plenty of 1/4 inputs.This is my box I use to run 12 cabinets in and have two outs to the amp. Wiring it up is incredibly strange. You have to hook up the speakers in a series of parallel groups.The reason I have two outputs to the amp is because with two 8 ohm cabinets, the amp is putting out it's full power at 4 ohms. Good luck

Attached Files:

13. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is why I'm using the Sunn Beta 205, it has series/parallel outputs, to keep everything at 4ohms

14. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Killing 2 birds with 1 stone...good pics of the bass and the cabs
    IMG_0046.

15. Check out "comb filtering". Your "carpet" of fuzz is very focused up the centre and drops out each note in a progressively wider comb pattern going down the scale.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Yes, but you should be happy he drew a PF500 connected to 4 2x10 cabs! It is at least the first thing I thought about after seeing the picture :)

17. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I edited the first post for you JimmyM...

18. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    i had a dream like that once...

19. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    ^WOW. Do I see 10 15's and 4 4x10's?

20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    he he no. hard to tell scale from the pic. they're micros. actually 12-10's and a pair of 8's. one is a bass amp, one is a valvestate, and the rest are lead 12.