1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Want for Attention?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WyrmDL, Oct 12, 2010.

1. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Hey TB,

I for one like the recognition of others. In person I will seldom admit to this, but I do. It's not like I go out in public and actively seek attention or anything, but deep down I have a lingering hope for someone to say something good about me.

I'm guessing it's a problem, but the first step is admitting that I have one. This is a pretty big aspect of my life that I have to tackle, mainly because as far as I can remember, I have been like this.

For an example, I am modest. I am genuinely modest, and it's not an act. However, I also like to hear people praise my modestly. Something's obviously wrong there.

This is something I've always noticed in the background, but now it's hit me. I haven't exactly found exactly what I'm doing or who I am, and sometimes I even think that everything I'm doing is for the purpose of appealing to others. I'll have to stew on that.

Open discussion. Thoughts?

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Everyone wants to be loved. It's built in. Nothing wrong with it.

Pride is an interesting thing. You can work so hard to not be prideful that you end up being proud of your lack of pride.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm fairly low key in most situations myself yet I love to clown around and generally be stupid onstage in front of 100's of people. I'm with ya man....

4. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I am a very private, modest person. If I don't know someone I won't even say "hi".
    But- Anyone that says that they don't care what others think of them is a liar. Humans are social creatures. :smug:

5. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Humans are social animals, and as a result we strive for social appreciate and recognition. It's not uncommon.

On a side note I recently won a modesty competition I was entered into by not showing even showing up.

6. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    :D

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I like to be publicly acknowledged for my successes at work and elsewhere. I like the spotlight. I didn't think that meant there was something wrong with me.

-Mike

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im quite the same, though being born a Leo, something in me also likes the attention of others. However, I truly dont care what others think of me, good or bad, the attention will suffice.

9. Sounds like me, bro. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting people to like you :).

10. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    Welcome to the Human Race!

But, why do you think this is a problem for you?

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Because he is reptilian and he's beginning to wonder what that warm fuzzy feeling he gets inside everytime people praise him is.

12. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    Wow, very different responses than what I had expected.

I just came to feel that whenever I wanted that recognition, I was being a little sissyboy who didn't have my own character and whatnot. It was just a gut feeling, like I was working to be what I want other people to know me as, instead of just being myself.

Truthfully, it was much more distinct than it is now, but I mean, it's still there.

So it's normal, then? Nobody else got the impression that it was a flaw of personality?

13. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Most everyone wants to be noticed by other people. It's a part of human nature.

14. I don't see the harm in wanting attention... so long as it doesn't result in you beating off in a public park. I can see how that may be frowned upon.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021