Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Warmouth Gekko Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassplayer5115, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW, that's a looker and at $799, it's a steal.

I built one a while ago & sold it & now I'm gassing for one all over again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Where did u find that blue bass of fun!?

3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I built it. IIRC. it's their standard Trans Blue.

I'd like a new one on black with balck hearware, Ebony Gecko without the matching headstock. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz V's and an Aguilar OBP-1

4. what kind of sound do they produce?

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It depends alot on the pickups and preamp that is used. The bass you're looking at has BArts. I'm not sure of the model but IME, Barts have a Dark sound.

The Bass I built had BassLines ASB2 5 string pickups with an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. The bass sounded fantastic. Very punchy and warm with a nice slap sound (I don't do much slapping, thou) .

The neck was very comfortable and it balanced very well.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I still lust for a swamp ash / wenge neck / wenge board Gecko with a single EMG soapbar in the P Bass position, in the spirit of a Tobias Growler I admired.

Some day, maybe... I'm having too much fun acquiring MusicMan stuff right now!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    warmoth* yes?

I liked that purple topped one that a guy posted not too long ago here.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yes.....and it's Gecko, not Gekko...........so if Bassplayer5115 would like more info on these basses, it would be a good idea to do a search for Warmoth Gecko, instead of Warmouth Gekko.

9. i think they are great for the price and plan to make 1 or 2 myself once i get the funds up.

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    here it is again.........

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Man! That's a nice looking Gecko! I've got one fretted Gecko that I built and I'm starting a fretless next week. At $799 I'd say go for it! Bart electronics, an ABM brdige, tuners and the neck and body cost several hundred more than that. I'd find out what kind of pre it has but if it has a Bart or Aggie I suspect it would have a nice sound.