1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Warwick Dolphin Pro 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Betrayer_Bass, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Hi TB!

I'm selling my Ibanez SRX365. Someone has offered to trade it for a Dolphin Pro 2. Now I know that the DP2 is not i. Production anymore and was made in Japan(?) And Germany (but by a lower quality manufacturer.) But I cant find anything about the DP2's without a serial number on the headstock.

I know it could be in the control cavity and i'll check that out, maybe it's a swapped neck. Does anyone know more about why there wouldn't be a serial number on the headstock?

I've agreed to the trade as IMO a "badly'" made Warwick is going to be better than a low end Ibanez. Plus i really dislike that Ibanez bass and already love Warwick basses.

Thanks tb :)

2. I had a Dolphin pro II which I bought from fellow TB-er Riis Unterzuber in 2001 I think. It was black, and without a serial. If I remember correctly Riis had been told that it was a prototype.
    Very cool bass with a great neck. It never felt very warwick-y to me, and the sound has more in common with a Jazz Bass than any Warwick I've had.
    If memory serves me these where made in Korea and assembled and/or set up in Germany.

I think you'd be doing the right thing going through with that trade.

I can't help wonder if it could be my old bass that has mode it's way from Iceland to Norway :)

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, that would be me! These are kickin' basses and sport 3 piece maple necks which are unlike any other Warwicks I've played. This particular bass was supposedly one of two prototypes (the other was blue) being carted around the US by Dana B. Goods.

IIRC, I shipped this via USPS to Iceland. Took a month plus we had a run-in with the Icelandic postal authority. Turned out well, though.

Riis

4. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Could well be the same bass. What color was it? Green? I'll let you know what color it is. I only hope it's in good condition. I have a corvette std 5 and I love it' hopefully i'll be happy with the Dolphin too :).

:)

5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It was a blackish-green high gloss finish. The transition at the tilt-back headstock has no volute for reinforcement. Not sure on this one but the control cavity cover may not have been recessed.

Riis

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I think the Dolphin Pro II era was from around 1990 to 1999.
    I read on the Warwick forum somewhere that the initial batch of Pro II's from the german subcontracter (300-400 instruments) were too low quality and were taken off the market. All of these had no serial numbers.
    Later the production moved to Japan.

7. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Yeah, I read that too but didn't realise this was the reason for the lack of serial numbers. I still think it'll be a better bass than this awful Ibanez :)

8. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Ok so I made the trade :). Very happy with it. I feel bad for the guy who traded it though. Maybe I just hated that bass too much..

IMG_20120810_125612.

The top. Not sure about the color but, oh well!

IMG_20120810_125635.

Active pot for something... I've only ever owned passive basses :)

IMG_20120810_125649.

The previous owner added straplocks but used too long screws and it came out the other side of the horn.

IMG_20120810_125657.

No serial. Shame, I'd like to know when it was made. I checked the control cavity but nothing there either.

So there it is. I'm happy with it so far. Gonna tune it to B :)

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Unless the color / tint is waaaay off, that is not my old one. The controls should be volume, blend, stacked treble / bass.

Very nice find! The neck should be 3 piece maple, wenge fingerboard, and adjust-a-nut I.

Edit: of all the Warwick offerings, this is the one that should be re-issued!

Riis

10. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks, i think it's great find. Thanks also for the info. I knew it wasn't your old one as soon as I opened the bag and it wasn't black.

Any idea what the body is made of?

11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Could be laminated popsicle sticks for all I know. You may want to check the website or Warwick forums.

Riis

12. If the other prototype was blue, then that could be it. Regardless, it seems like you got a good deal out of the trade.

13. You definitely got a good deal in that trade. Of all the basses Warwick has made, I've always desired a Dolphin more than any other model. So tell us, did you trade the Ibanez straight up for it? And, how much did you pay for the Ibanez? I'm tryin' to figure out what you "paid" for that bass. Either way, it seems you got a screamin' deal.

14. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Well I won the Ibanez in a competition, so really I paid nothing :) it was a straight trade, no cash or anything.

I agree, I got an awesome deal! Lost a string though, the 'nez was a 5er. No worries here though!

Dean N likes this.
  15. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    I'd say you did very well in that trade! Be sure to drop over to the Warwick Sponsored Forum here at Talkbass http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f238/ and add it to the "pics of your 'Wicks" thread! Enjoy!

16. Betrayer_Bass

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Alright then I will, and i'll throw in the pics of my Corvette std 5 :)

17. Yup, Riis I think it's quite safe to say that's not "our" bass :)

The body is swamp ash according to Warwick

It's a sweet little bass and I wish I still had mine !

I think you sure lucked out on that one

Cheers
    K

18. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I used the Dophin II as a springboard to the Pro M Streamer 4 which I liked a bit better in the "growl" dept. I have not cared for any Warwicks since.

Kris, IIRC your name is Hafsteinsson. Sorry for the butchered spelling!

Riis

19. Yup, you have memory of an elephant (and your spelling is dead on to, I wasn't sure if I remembered Unterzuber correctly). I'm stuck with streamer stage one fever - it has that unmistakable growl that I just need to have around incase I need it. I did play a dolphin proI that wanted as well but I guess you cant own them all.

cheers
    K

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Jealous. Lol. Great score. Ive seen a few basses without serial numbers. Usually its been from first run batches and such things. Regarding the stacked knob, that would stacked bass/treble with center detent for each for flat position.