Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Warwick Hitch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 12, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was in Bass Central in Orlando on Saturday a week ago to find a suitable alternative to my Warwick Corvette Standard 5. I drove there from Tampa just to observe and lay my hands on some of the finest basses in the world. My reason for switching was to relieve my tender neck of the stress and strain of lugging around a tree trunk all the time, albeit a beautiful sounding one. I tried many basses and had a wonderful time listening to the guys who came in. Low and behold, our own Gard was my sales counselor, and a couple of other guys in the shop are frequent contributors here. I settled on a black MM Stingray 5 with maple fingerboard (I will not provide the obligatory photo and entitle this post "Got a New Bass"). It isn't much lighter than my Warwick, but it is well balanced. It's also got more under the hood than the Corvette. Anyway, I noticed a phenomenon. One of the guys that came in was playing a Warwick Thumb, and as he played, he'd have to periodically hitch the neck back up into proper position. This is the exact manuever I have been making all these months, trying to deal with the balance problem. Be on the lookout for the hitch. To Gard and the guys at BassCentral, I enjoyed myself even though you were still moving in and the owner was having a bad day (how could he, I bought something!). I will undoubtedly drop in next time I'm even near Orlando.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I travelled from UK to basscentral and my family thought we were there to see Disney and Universal.

Doctor CS is in the house, the cure for the Warwick hitch is a comfort strapp (with two p's).

I dont know why it works. Greater Mu (coefficienct of friction) maybe.

PS nice choice I have a black stingray 5

3. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    Hi

As I understand Basscentral is one of the major dealers for Lakland. What made you settle for the MM not a Lakland.

:)

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Settle? As in, "Why did you settle for a Ferrari instead of a Porsche?" :confused:

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I traveled from NY to Orlando in February, and my first stop was Bass Central. I felt like I had landed at Wally World.

There were a couple of doors at the address I had, and I opened one that looked like a warehouse and asked where Bass Central was. "This is it" was the response. It was SO NOT what I was expecting, but they said they were in the middle of moving. No displays, just a couple of computers and a bunch of basses in boxes.

The Beav was there though, seemed a little stressed out, but was nice to me. My girlfriend had to walk out cuase he was sporting a mullet and she couldn't contain herself - she finds them terribly amusing.

Maybe one day I'll go back and see a showroom. I really wanted to just get lost and play a whole bunch of basses. It was a real disappointing day.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I settled on a MM and not a Lakland because I was already over budget and my wife would think I lost all sense. The next bass I buy there will be one though. I liked it best of all. And what a great selection! Guess what? My other choice was a pre-owned Mike Lull 5 in mint condition for only a few bills more.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i USED to have to do that.

but now i have a 3" wide padded nylon strap that's up as high as it can go. and i don't have that problem anymore.

infact, after playing it for so long, it's not even heavy anymore.

jason

8. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    Yes :oops:

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The hitch I get using the thumb is because I play it up high. With such a small upper horn, the neck's way out there. I work on keeping a good ~45deg neck angle so I can maintain my arm/wrist/hand positioning.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Rick!

Glad you're happy with the bass! Just FYI, the Lull was sold on Sat. afternoon, and will be on it's way to it's new owner today. Good bass, but I think you got the right one for your situation. Oh, and actually we weren't moving in, we were just rearranging our warehousing situation. At one point we had our warehoused stock between 3 locations (!!!! :eek: !!!!), we were just finishing up consolidating the Sat. you were in the store. All done now, and the stress level has dropped considerably!! Sorry if we weren't able to pay enough attention to your questions, but I promise next time will be more relaxed. Hope you feel that you got good service.

CS, when were you in the store? You didn't say hi! :p ;)

badenough, according to Lakland, we're the top Lakland dealer in the world (and also the top Ernie Ball/Musicman dealer in the world as well!).

Joe, sorry you picked then to stop in, it must have been a real Wally World moment :(. Next time you're down here, make it a point to drop in, it's a whole different world in the store now. I'd estimate there's 200-250 basses hanging on the wall, and probably 50 amps on the floor with various cabinet setups as well. I'm the schlub that unpacked and set up the majority of it!!

Anytime one of y'all is gonna be in the area, PM or e-mail me so I know you're coming and can arrange to be in the store!! I'm always happy to meet another TB'er. In addition to Rick, I've had the pleasure of meeting bassbrobrad and ka-tet (if I've neglected anyone, I apologize!), and have had the opportunity to speak on the phone with several others, including mchildree, SheepMan (hey Adley, hope the trip went well, and the gig bag worked out for you!), and most recently metalarch69 (Jay, the strings are on the way, promise!). bassmonkee, I'm still bummed your plans changed, I was looking forward to getting to meet ya, glad you made it to the store though.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I went to the 'old building' April 2000 and met Beaver and Scott. Ive had two telecons and various e-mails with Scott recently ref ordering some pu's.

As an aside I was playing some fretless frenzy workouts on Beavers Stirling and went into 'Money' cos I heard it on the radio driving up the I4 west. The delivery guy made me play it again as he left the building. Brings you back to earth.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, i've lived up around jacksonville, fl for the past couple of years and i've tried to make it a point to get down there...hopefully i'll get there in the next couple o' weeks...i got my thumb 4 and my eden metro from you guys...the beav hooked me up. i'm sure he remembers me...i'm the "rocket scientist"---the one who hooked him up with all of the USS Tennessee stuff...strangely enough, come to find out, my senior chief was on the same high school wrestling team as beav in savannah. i've been trying to hit him up for his high school year book. my chief was a freshman the year beav graduated-heh! tell him i said hi ;) hopefully, if all goes well, i'll see you fellas soon...want any tennessee stuff? just let me know...:D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    CS -

OK, you're forgiven, I wasn't working there yet! ;) Scott is "da mayhn" about all that pickup stuff, he'll definitely hook you up!

'toon -

How long you in port? You definitely need to make a trip down to visit us soon, lotsa cool stuff to check out, to say the least. If you're going to be in in late Oct, my band is playing up there in Jax. Big party they toss at the football stadium after the FL/GA game, Oct. 27th to be precise. Lemme know if you want to check it out!

Oh, and anyone that's in Orlando this weekend let me know, my band is playing a couple interesting gigs, Hard Rock Cafe Friday, and an "unplugged" gig at a Barnes & Noble Sat. PM or e-mail me for details. :)

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    off topic a bit...

i noticed the mention of a "mullet"...i've heard that term before, but never knew what the style was...

UNTIL!

i did a web search for mullet, and can you believe there is a web site dedicated to mulletdom!?!?

http://www.mulletmadness.com/

pretty funny site...i especially like the SKULLET sported by Gallager.

fred

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Gard

Scott is looking after me I just wish he had a Star Trek type transporter-the wait is killing me.

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    www.mulletsgalore.com

17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The funniest thing about mullets, is that they were cool back in the 80s -- now no one admits that they ever had one (I had one, dammit).

18. No, mullets were never cool. They may have been fashionable, but they were never stylish. Any idiot can be in fashion, but true style is the realm of the cool.

I mean, I'm sure Beaver's a great player and all, but there's something that really irks me about that whole "up front I'm all business, but in the back I'm Rock and Roll" hairstyle.

19. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sounds like you still have your mullet. :D

20. Are you kidding? Not only would I never have a mullet--never--I am also incapable of growing one, since i have curly hair.

I'm from Grundy County, IL--Mullet Central. I worked in a Wal-Mart this past summer, so I saw plenty of 'em, and was thus continually reminded of how much they suck.