Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Warwick Neck Dive Issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Dec 9, 2002.

1. After an interesting four-day trip to New York, I came back here this morning to read all the new threads. Normally, I'm a forum lurker and I just read posts from a lot of the people (who have really opened me up in my music philosophy) and look at the pretty pictures. Mm. ;-)

However, after reading about 5 threads about potential Warwick purchases, I've become informed about the neck dive issue and how it cramps your wrist like a, well, something that would cramp your wrist really, really, bad.

It would make sense that the Warwick company might think about changing their product, or at least some of them, slightly, to alleviate the problem.

Are they planning on doing anything? Do you think they should change their produce to keep neck dive less-pronounced?

*Ahem* Your opinions, please. *gets out a bucket of pennies*

2. Why would Warwick change their product? Their sales are enormous and that would just waste valuable cash.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - they have done - you can buy a Streamer, Corvette - that new semi-hollow thing etc etc

Nobody's forcing you to buy a Thumb bass - but there will obviously be a lot of them around, used at good prices!! ;)

This is why I always say on this forum that I would never buy a bass without trying it extensively first - no matter how good the price!! :rolleyes:

4. Bruce Lindfield

I just read this again - you need to be clear that this only really applies to the Thumb bass - and a lot of people live with it - they like the sound and small body.

But there's nothing like the same issue with other Warwick models, although their necks are all too thick for my taste - back to front that is - I'm not tallking about neck width.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

There appear to be lots of pros who use the Warwick stuff without complaint. Maybe it's just internet typists who get the double-whammy?

With the right strap most neck-heavy basses can be managed, I find.

Where abouts are you in Pensacola? I'm in Mobile AL. Got a little recording studio here and we have occassional 'Bass Summits' where we get together and goof around.

Let me know if you're headed to Mobile anytime soon, I'll introduce you to a Warwick that doesn't neck-dive...

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    yeah, the neck dive is pretty strong, but only in comparison to what your used to, so vanishes after about 2 or 3 days of playing (with a strap).

Theres a number of ways to correct it that ive found out both by myself and online ?(including from Tb'ers!). One suggestion a technician at warwickbass.com suggested was replaceing the tuners with ultra-light ones (forgot the brand name, sorry). Do you think this would make a big difference?

Then again, when i emailed him it was a day into owning it, since i've adapted to dive and dont really notice it.

Like the rest of the guys on here said, if your going to buy one, test it first! ;)

7. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    [QUOTE

With the right strap most neck-heavy basses can be managed, I find.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate? What straps are you talking about?

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Neck dive is not an issue on my Warwick Streamer Stage I. Maybe this is because the flame maple body is so damned heavy. :eek:

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    BPAD
    BPAD from Strap King, nice and padded- holds the bass in place, won't move around; even heavy ones don't really slip.

'spad'
    SPAD, Strap King. Padded suede. I flip it over on the black side and it grips nicely. No slippage.

http://www.guitarstrapking.com/

Comfort Strapps are nice too.
    http://www.comfortstrapp.com/

As long as you don't wear a slippery shirt, these straps won't move. They are padded too, so it makes heavier basses a little more comfortable.
    I find that with any of these 3 straps, even the worst neck-diver will hang where you want it, and stays there even if you let go of the neck. You might feel a little downward pull on your shoulder, but you don't have to support the neck with your left hand while playing

If you're really desperate, you can connect both ends of the strap to the upper strap horn button. You have to connect the top end of the strap first, then put the bottom end on the same strap button. No more divey! It will make the bass tilt up instead, at about a 45% angle...
    that's not me, but that's my bass...

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Usually, a strap that is very wide, say 3-3.5 inches (7.5-9 cm), will help a great deal in preventing the neck from diving.

It is true that other Waricks don't tend to dive as much as the thumb, BUT, while the Thumb is neck heavy, the others are just plain old heavy.

I was very much in love with an LX6 fretless that I just parted with because I couldn't manage the weight.

One other note on neck dive.

It tends to be worse for players who wear the bass low and keep the neck down anyway.

Simply shortening the strap and wearing the bass high with the neck angled up does wonders to save neck drive.

1. You are shifting the center of gravity toward the middle of the bass, so there is less tendency to dive.

2. You have the neck elevated so that you can keep your wrist mostly straight and your elbow under the neck, so you have a MUCH stronger support system. The neck rests on the nicely padded lower palm and you are using the large muscles in your back, shoulder and upper arm to hold up the neck instead of the small ones in your wrist and forearm.

Chas

11. Bruce Lindfield

I always use a Comfort Strapp anyway - but my view is that there are loads of bass out there - why buy one with neck dive? I'd much rather have a well-balanced bass and as there is so much choice, there is no reason you need buy an unbalanced one.

As I said - it is usually only the Thumb where it is "taken as read" that it has neck dive. But the others do have very bulky necks and I have never found a Warwick that felt comfortable - which is why I always say to try one of these things before buying - unless you want to be re-selling in a few months and losing money!

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    just an added note, whilst looking for a review for a corvette to link a TB topic to, i clicked onto thumb. As far as a i could see, not one person mentioned the dive..maybe its denial ;)

then again, I quoted this from one review on its finish "The finish is dope, its satin so the wood looks great. You have to wax it every Month it gets anoying.":rolleyes:

edit: hang on, the last guy mentions it sorry.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have a pretty wide, old, padded planet waves nylon strap for my SS2, and the thing balances so well it's like you're not even wearing it (for the first couple hours at least, 14 lbs will catch up to you eventually :) ) no wrist cramps or anything.

yet while the comfort strapp i got for my thumb helped, it didn't help as much as i'd hope. the fact that it's a 6 doesn't help things, either. i'm going to put hipshot ultralights on it, and if that doens't work i think i'm going to have to sell it. it's just not comfortable to play for more than a half hour standing up right now. (i have to jack it up really high to keep it from moving, which makes my right hand at a weird angle, and puts the neck almost parallell to the floor so my left hand is twisted. :( )

i do think they should invest in some lighter tuners. other than that, there's not much you can do if you keep the thumb body how it is. BUT, if you look at the jack bruce sig thumb, its a different body shape - i'm assuming its the old version of the thumb body. the top horn is bigger. maybe they should go back to this?

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    the only "Neck Dive" bass warwick makes is the thumb. you get used to it though. i did in only about 5 mintues. i was probably to busy listening to the TONE.....

15. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    and not all the thumbs have the neck dime...there are some thumbs that with a little luke you wont find any neck dive also the solid wood of the thumb make it a heavy body and it suppose to balance very well

i have a 6 string thumb with the broadneck and it doesnt seem to be a big big big problem with the dive and is not to much diving on it

maybe is the position of the strap button

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    and, for the record, some people REALLY REALLY like the neck shape. like me for example :) other necks just feel so whimpy in comparison.

while some girly-men might be cramped by the thick neck shape ;) , most wrist issues occur on the thumb due to the short horn putting first fret very far from your body, causing a bad wrist contortion.

17. the heavy neck is annoying at first but its easy to get used to

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That has NEVER been a problem for me. I've played only Streamers Stages 1 and 2, and the LX's, so I can't speak on the Thumbs. I'm totally comfortable with them.

19. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    im ssssooooooooooooooooooo sick about hearing about neck dive

20. Bruce Lindfield

But why not just buy a bass without neck dive that is well-balanced - there are loads of them out there!!