Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Warwick Thumb Growl: The Pick Ups or the Woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Oct 10, 2005.

The Warwick Thumb Growl?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2005.
  1. The Pick Ups?

12 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. The Woods?

30 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Combination of the Pickups and the Woods?

66 vote(s)
    53.2%
  4. I dont care, As long as it doesnt loose the growl!!!

16 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Im talking about the 4 and 5 string with the MEC Jazz PUP's, Not the Broadneck.

So what do you think it is?

Pickups?

Woods?

Or the Combination of the two?

Im not 100% sure on what it is, But Id say its got to be the pups or pre amp, Cause Ive heard other basses with the same woods and the growl was nothing like the Thumbs, The closest thing to a Thumb Ive heard was a WAL.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    all I know is you don't spell lose "loose"

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Combination of both plus the position of the pickups.

4. Whoops I guess I missed that, Oh well.

Don't be a grammar nazi about it :rollno: .

5. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    :p as for the question, I honestly dunno, but they're cool

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pickup position and woods. My thumb has EMG JV's and sounds great, has that growl still but it's much clearer.

7. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I was comparing bo and nt thumbs the other day and the nt definitely had 'the sound'. The bo sounded good , but was just not all-the-way there. (i set the eq's flat for comparison, by the way)

It just occured to me though, the volume pot is a push-pull to switch from passive/active mode. So, before i vote, i'll need to go back and try them again - maybe the bo was in passive mode???

If any case, the 'growl' is still the result of a 'combination' of eliments. For now it leans more towards wood, though.

If the bo was in passive mode, then i will have to believe the pups play a more important roll - and will be a happy man because they are much less expensive if i ever want to buy one!

8. +1

9. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    From my experience, Warwicks still growl in passive mode. It's mainly the wood, and more specifically, the shape, size, density of the neck. IMO, I would bet if you put a Warwick neck on a CNC machine and milled it down to a toothpick-sized jazz bass neck, the Warwick magic would be gone.

10. I would say the pickups's position and the frets. They are bronze frets(if I remember correctly) and it gives a special sound.
    Of course, the woods and construction have teir own part of the job, but the characteristic frets and the pups position are for me the most important in that particuliar sound.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Fretless Warwicks have the same "growl".

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think a lot of it has to do with the position of the pickups. The wood is definitely about 40% of it, though. I think the woods bring out the middy growl, and the pickups being in the near bridge location would also accentuate this.

13. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    ^ Winner.

14. TwoThumbs

TwoThumbs

Mar 27, 2005
    Staunton,VA USA
    I think it is a combination of the wood,the shape of the body...primarily the contour of the back of the body,the tiny tailpiece, and the electronics system as a whole.This curved back body design seems as though it would promote vibration throughout it's mass, and by using the tiny tailpiece as opposed to a massive one more string vibration is transferred to the wood.Between all of this and a good electronics system, you have a combination that spells G-R-O-W-L.
    .........but I'm not an expert, just applying my $0.02

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The growl comes from a concentration of keratin commonly found in ..... CARROTS!

16. I think it's a combination of the basse's materials and design/construction.

I don't think it's the MEC pickups that give Warwick's their trademark growl.

I was playing a Corvette yesterday acoustically, and it still sounded like a Warwick. ;)

I've got a couple of MEC J pups in a drawer I wasn't overly impressed with.

I love their basses, but I think benefit can be had from upgrading the pups.

:bassist:

17. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    :eyebrow: That's CRUNCH my fine furry friend... CRUNCH is found in the carrot!

Don't really think that effects sound - does feel nice against one's body though :cool:

come on, let's see if we can make this longer than that Sadowsky thread :hyper:

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Mmmm the warwick thumb growl, cant get better!

Id say both pickups/pickup position and the woods..

:)

19. I dont have a Thumb bass but i do have a 97 Corvette Stnd. and it GROWLS!

Warwick:The sound of wood...

...and the pickups LOL

20. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    The way I was able to get growl from just about anything I played was a combination of the set-up on the bass, the EQ and my right and left hand action. The "growl" actually happens from what my hands are doing on a bass that was set-up correctly for it. Correct set-up? Plays clean with light to moderate "touch", has the "right" buzz from first fret to last...or to the board for f-less players. It's not like the amp and speakers don't come into play, though. Proper use of, and familiarization with, the whole set-up helps, too.