The Warwicks with lipstick pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Apr 16, 2002.

1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    OK I don't remember what these things are called (Fortress or something I think) but I tried one and I really kind of like it. I checked Warwick's site and they don't appear to make them anymore but a local shop has a NOS one hanging around. They have lipstick PU's and a pickguard, really like nothing else Warwick makes. Anyone have one? Anyone have any experience with one?
  2. They're called the Flashback, FWIW.
  3. I've only read, favourable, reviews of the Fortress Flashback, and I've picked up a few in stores without plugging them in. From memory I can only recall that they played as well as any other bolt on Warwick, i e really well, and that they were butt heavy. Anyone complaining about how heavy Warwicks in general are should pick up a Flashback. Other Warwicks are featherweight, when compared to that one. The 2-tek bridge might have something to do with it, though.
    And IIRC they weren't made more than a couple of years. Maybe the aesthetics were too far off for most of us, they were for me at least. Metallic finishes, pearloid pick guards and the Fortress body shape didn't please my eyes.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Whoa, I don't think a metallic finish would look too good! The one I saw is just a nice blue stain that allows the wood grain to come through.
  5. I've only seen stained ones in pictures, and they loked way nicer than the metallic ones. Did I mention that the finsish was a so called "big flake metallic"? That didn't make things any better, let me tell you.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I've played one before.. I didn't like the pickguard on it. made it look really ugly IMO. but the bass itself played pretty good and sounded nice too. I think it was selling for $1500. i thought it was a bit high for that bass IMO. but it was still pretty good.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Yeah that would be more than I'd want to pay for one. The one I saw is going for $1350 Canadian ($900 US approx.) still a bit dear but it's been on the wall forever. Maybe if I decide to go for it I can talk 'em down.
  8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have one of these, a Fortress Flashback 4. If you like the way Warwick's feel and play, these are about the same as any Fortress from the era (mid-late 90's), but are heavy. Mine weighs more then any of my other Warwicks (even the 5 strings I have.) Sound wise, they don't sound like anything else from Warwick. The closest thing I could think of to describe the sound would be a cross between passive "J" style pickups and my Dano Shorthorn reissue. The sound is different enough from a bass with J's to be distictive, and does sound a little bit like the Dano, but not nearly as thin as the Dano.