1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Watt Woes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tenorbass, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Hey guys, I am playing with a new guitar player this year. The bad thing is his amp set up! He has a whole stack 100 watt amp. Now I have a 100 watt ampeg combo. I really dont have any problems cutting thru when me him and the sing jam. But when our drummers their :bawl: :bawl:. I know that his amp is never on 10 so he never does use his 100 watts but I think i am going to need more.

I am thinking of upgrading to a AVATAR B212 Neo. With the trade in on my ampeg that cab would allmost be free.. For a head I was thinking an Ashdown Mag 300R..Some stats are here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-300R-300-Watt-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=485031

My main questions are..
    How many ohms should my cab be? Will 300 watt be enough to cut thru in this band live and jamming? Should I go with a 2x12 cab or something smaller?

Thanks

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It should be fine as long as you aren't using a mid-scooped tone. I'd get two Avatar 2x12s, though, just to be safe.

3. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    My amp setting on my ampeg is

10-Treble
    7- Mids
    4- Bass

I am using a passive warwick fretless corvette

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Just use your mids and you COULD get away with 100 watts and a not so hard hitting drummer. But 2x12 and a 300 watt head will definatly get you heard. And that 2x12 by Avatar is supposed to have tons of mids which should really help you alot..

5. tenorbass

tenorbass

May 8, 2005
    Cool. My drummer is really loud. Where a death metal band so loud is how we play. I use 4 fingers and a soft attack on my bass playing so I need alot of watts. THanks for your info on the cab

6. Depending on how hard he plays his amp could be on 5 and putting out 100 watts, the master volume isnt directly proportional to the wattage output.

Tell him to only bring one cab and to use his head on the 50 watts setting (doesnt cut much but every little helps right?)

7. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Ahh, death metal. :bassist: Something I know about!

The 212 is a good start. However, I would get an 8 ohm model so you can add another cab to go with it, because you will need it. Plan on adding at least a 210(my setup), if not 410s or another 212. Death metal sounds best when it's loud, and more speakers will serve you better than more watts.

If you get that Ashdown let me know how it is. I've been thinking about switching to one myself.