Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "We want a Brice Stingray" petition thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Yes, that would be totally awesome and sweet!

104 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. No, that's silly, go get an OLP or Dillion

62 vote(s)
    37.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would love to see a decently priced MM copy, as OLPs just don't cut it, and the SUBs are still not quite to my favorite "dirt cheap" range!
    So let's start a thread for a Brice Stingray 4 and 5, and hope Kurt over at Rondo takes notice!

Anyone else want to see a quality stingray copy at (hopefully) about 200 dollars?

Let's also keep this thread open to suggestions about changes to the standard stingray. I think a dual humbucker stingray would be totally cool!

2. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    How much closer do you want than an OLP?

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

My experience with OLP has simply been poor quality. The quality I have seen out of SX or Brice has been much higher than OLP.

And for some reason you can vote for both options.
    Dang it.

4. If SX made a Stingray at about the same price as their current line-up of Jazzes I'd grab one for sure.

5. I'm sure Kurt could whip up one with active electronics, which OLPs don't have. It would probably be for less too.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the Dillion ones are the way to go...

7. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

But those are about 400-450!
    We are hopefully talking 175-250 here, plus it would be much easier to find than the Dillions.

8. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd really like to see Brice work on more original models. There are already plenty of people making copies of everything, so why make more? Besides, you can't get something for nothing.

If they were gonna update it, however, maybe with two pickups or a new pickguard, I'd be all for it. I'd really like to see a SR4 with a SR5 guard. Too much symmetry freaks me out. :oops:

9. Hmmm.

I'd actually like to see a good 5 string Brice Precision Deluxe. This would have a neck j-pup, P-pup and a MM style humbucker and active electronics. Make it string through, single string bridges and a choice between fretted and fretless.

I'd buy one.

10. I was seriously just sitting to down to Email Kurt about this when I saw this thread! I'm ALL for it, mainly to get some different wood options. For instance, you cant get an OLP 4 string with a maple board and the 4 or 5 strings come with different body woods from each other. Oh yeah, the OLPs construction is NOWHERE near that of my V2.

11. *grin*

A bongo, for Brice prices? I'm sure that if that bass existed, and the tone was good enough, every bassist on earth would want one. :hyper:

12. :D

BINGO! Bongo!

:bassist:

Now - there's an idea!

13. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    Brice Stingray? Id snag one in a second :bassist:

14. Gamm

Gamm

Dec 22, 2004
    Quebec-Canada
    Stingray copy..what's the point to that ? :confused:
    It is the look you are craving for or the sound ?
    cuz, if it is the look, i think OLP have done a great job and SUB basses are made by the ErnieBall cie, as you already know but for the sound, do you guys really think a copy of around 200/400$ can do a job close to the original ?
    I mean, IMO if they are so expensive, that's not for nuttin.
    Don't you think it would be better to buy a real one or something totally different ? ;)

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im dissapointed. Idk something about Brice Bongo... do you realize that even if they made that, it wouldnt be anything close to a Bongo? Just bc it looks the same doesnt mean itll play or SOUND anything like it.

16. Gamm

Gamm

Dec 22, 2004
    Quebec-Canada
    Mmm, on another point of view : there's a lot of Fender's copies in stores, good & poor ones, and if I had the choice, when bought my first bass 9 years ago, between a eb MM copy or a fender copy, maybe I would have picked up the MM copy. ( only fools don't change their minds ) :D

17. Gamm

Gamm

Dec 22, 2004
    Quebec-Canada
    You just hit he bull's eye Fidjam...