1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Weird Realisations of Playing Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Jul 11, 2019.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Lately I've been reflecting on some 19 years of bass playing and some of the (personal) realisations I really didn't see coming. Feel free to add your own! :thumbsup::bassist:

:

1. Becoming familiar with other instruments will change the way you play bass.

2. Exploring sound engineering and sound design will revolutionise the way you play bass.

3. You will balk at the wisdom of your elders when you are a young bassist: Less is more. Less is more? I'll give you more [wanks in Wooten]!

4. The first time you truly experience the potential that one resounding bass note has to alter the entire mood and direction of an arrangement, you'll stop balking at the wisdom of your elders. For me it was Tool's live performance of 'P u s h i t' on Salival.

5. The plectrum does not belong to guitarists and it is not some strange 'betrayal' to make use of one. It belongs to sound.

6. A Spanish flamenco guitarist busking in the streets of my native Melbourne taught me more about bass than any bassist (see above).

7. Brands are not always best - but their ideas can be eternal. I've yet to play a modern MIA Fender Jazz that was not a dog. That said, my main is a Sandberg TM5 and aside from its chunky neck, it's the only bass for me nowadays.

8. The bass is the band's mother. She makes everyone else sound great and goes largely unnoticed herself. Once you find the beauty in this, the fact most attractive people can't seem to 'hear' you will never bother you again.

9. 'Technically difficult' does not equal 'good' and 'simple' is not derogatory. You answer only to: How does it sound and feel?

10. Picking up this instrument in my teens irrevocably changed the course of my life and I love, love, love that.

:bassist::laugh:

2. Interesting perspective... thanks tones.

#10 <c:

*ToNeS* likes this.
  3. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    “It belongs to sound.” That’s an elegant observation.

ak56 and *ToNeS* like this.
  4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Firstly thank you and secondly please: Share your own bass-related Egad, man! moments.

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Was just laying some stuff down and I've missed one:

11. Bass tones that sound great in the mix (live or in the studio) tend not to sound very pleasing when soloed, most often due to a prevalence of mid-range. Developing your 'mix' and 'solo' bass tones as two separate things is a cool little journey to embark on.

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    This thread is potentially awesome and I stayed up all night studying for it. Get off your asses

ajkula66 likes this.