1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The weirdest bass you have ever played or seen?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Precision101, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I haven't played many basses but I can sure tell you I've seen some pretty bizarre ones. Like the toilet seat bass. What have you guys experienced.

2. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I loved the Millennium Falcon bass. Weirdest I have ever played was an old S. E. Curlee, double P- pick up bass. It was weird in a great way.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Other than pictures (like the infamous Moth Bass), the weirdest bass I've ever seen was a 12-string "thing" that Ed Roman had in his store here in Vegas several years ago. I asked one of the sales guys "How on Earth do you play that thing?" He rolled his eyes, and said, "Believe me, a couple of us have tried, and it ain't easy! And don't even get me started about tryin' to tune it!" Fortunately for me, it was very expensive, and not a lefty; otherwise, I might have bought it, just to have.;)

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    We've all seen them on here, but let's be honest, Dingwall fan-frets are pretty weird. Weirdest one I tried was the Super P - such a clash of design cues: the ur-vintage bass but with fan frets! Sounded good though.

6. ngbbs4a09e980ccf2b.

7. Other than Bootsy's Space Basses which I have seen, the weirdest bass I have seen and played was the Conklin Groove Tools 7 string. Can you say "Overkill"??

8. :eek:

9. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    Subscribed

10. GSM-BootsyNew2008StarBass01.

OK, maybe not too weird, but definitely interesting. This particular version of the Space Bass was built by Warwick. Collins has had basses built by Washburn also.

11. I would say and 8 string (octaves).
    I haven{t really had the oppurtunity to try too many weird basses.
    Also, subscribed.
    EDIT: Also played an Eko violin bass once, surprisingly great tone. I{d say appearance wise that was the most odd bass I{ve played.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What thread on weird basses would be complete without:

[​IMG]

?

13. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sigh... it rears its ugly head again. Oh, hey, and the Mothman is here too!

14. Now now. That's not very nice. I'm sure she's a really sweet girl.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not very nice but pretty funny ;)

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Don't have a pic, but I saw a bass with a body made of Legos.

17. oh yes Stig Pedersen of Disneyland After Dark (D.A.D)
    Danish people are weird anyway 01101429.

18. There's actually a fanned fret version of that in a store about an hours drive from here. One of the easiest to play basses i've ever tried.

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'd never discriminate a model from another by the looks only, given that both appeal to me, just because I advancedly exclude weird ones to the point that weird itself is very easy for me to consider

For example, and I don't mention Bc Rich Warlocks or Widows here, if Fernandes Atlas or Tremor were simply odd to me, my beloved Fender with its dimension series... seriously disappointed me:spit:

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. I take it you mean my bass that is made out of Legos? This is also my answer as well, what a weird instrument.