The wesley bm: A Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spidjod, Feb 21, 2005.

1. spidjod

Dec 21, 2004
    No doubt you have never heard of wesley guitars, or anything they do, but it seems here i have stumbled upon a little gem, and a cheap one at that. A while agoIi got my second bass, I took a plunge and bought this off the wesley website, which I found through ebay, because I liked the look of it:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As it turns out, I picked a winner.

To start off, heres the basic features:
    • Agathis Hardwood Body
    • Hard Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
    • 24 Frets
    • 2 Passive MM Style pickups wired in paralell @6.3 Ohms
    • Chrome Tuners
    All this came to a measley £109 ($206)
    The first thing i noticed after taking it out of the box, apart from the fact that it was perfectly in tune it was how light it was, seriously it was light as a feather compared to my old Rockwood (yes, I know). Also one of the things that really stands out is how thin the neck is, which is stupidly comfortable to play.
    The finish also stands out quite a bit in its strangeness, as in mornig light it look like a light pluey colour but seems to turn purple as it gets darker, strange, but i cant say i dont like it.
    However the most impotant thing here is how it sounds, and this is where I feel it really shines, especially considering the price. I've thrown together some clips of it for you using differnt styles of playing. Please excuse my rather poor playing, ive only been doing it for a year and a bit.

So I'm just wondering what you think of the sound of this thing? Personally I love it but its always nice for a second, or fifteenth opinion.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Sounds really good, you could easily spend 2-3 times as much (maybe more) for a bass that sounds that good. Are you playing it through anything, or is it directly into the computer?

From the pics the finish looks mighty fine as well.
  3. spidjod

Dec 21, 2004
    Its being recorded straight into the computer, with the volume on the pickups put quite low as my soundcard just turns to fuzz after it goes any higher, but thats what happnes when you buy cheap computer bits (I had to use a little adapter the be able to plug it into the mic socket"
    While recording it was EQ's Flat, to get it sounded as "plain" as possible, if you know what i mean.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Firstly, congrats on the new bass and finding one that's so great at such a sweet price. I hope the level of quality found on your bass is evident in most all of their basses.

And I must commend you on your skills too. You have a budget bass and in your hands, it sounds incredible, even through my laptop's crummy speakers (okay, the fingerstyle tone isn't quite my taste, but if it works in your band's context then that's all that counts.) With companies like Brice/Essex and now Wesley, I'm impressed at the level budget gear is getting to than it was 10 years ago when I first started out. Too often I hear the complaints of frustrated bassists starting out who blame their "cheap-@$$" bass but once a more skilled bassist picks up that cheapie instrument, it sounds incredible. It's that old mantra of the "tone" being ninety-something percent in your hands.

It sounds like you'll love that bass for a while. I've tried out various higher-end basses here and there, but none sound or feel as right to me as my Samick. (That one looks cool. I dig the body shape...and the pink finish.)
  5. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wow congrats on the bass! it sounds great!
  6. spidjod

Dec 21, 2004
    Dincrest: Firmly cementing my belief that talkbass is one of the nicest communities on the net.
    Thanks for all the opinions guys.
    So yeah, if you're looking for a "high end" budget bass in the UK, give wesley a go.