1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Westie Pro Co

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jhan, May 5, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Just picked up The Westie, a modded ProCo 'You-Rirty-Rat,' from 30th Street Guitars. The Mod is done by Frank O Hearn of Shamrock Amps in Brick, NJ.

Never really cared for ProCo Rat's of any stripe, but I'm Really liking this thing so far. Here's some clips. Just foolin' around . . .

Warick Corvette 5 String Passive > Radial JDI > Westie ProCo > Soundcard > Sonar (and a bit of tweaking with Ampeg SVX - couldn't help it)

Note: The Warwick has a set of Ultra J's in it.

Heavier Distortion
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jlxdey2hmc5/Westie_heavy.wav

Slight Distortion
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/zruxuzjxtzn/Westie_Slight.wav

2. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, they both sound great! What I like most about the "heavy" sound is that you didn't seem to lose much bottom end at all. A lot of distortion pedals add top-end fuzz and crap and you lose the "oomph." I still heard plenty of bottom.

The "slight" sounds great too and I actually prefer it over the "heavy." Though I can definitely see w/what type of music you'd want that sound.

I was digging on the "Spy Hunter" esque groove, man. :cool:

ps
    Did you have a little reverb in there too? Thought I could hear a bit of 'verb.

3. jhan

jhan Guest

No verb at all. But the Ampeg SVX plugin does add a bit of oomph. It would have been a bit more accurate maybe to provide a 'dry' recording, but we do play through amps, after all. When I track at home, it's almost always an SVT 4 Pro and a 410 HLF miked, and a dry direct signal which I almost always completely EQ out.

Note that this pedal, as with most dirt pedals IMO, probably works best with passive basses. My Spector Euro 5 would blow this pedal out even on it's lowest distortion setting.

4. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the details, jhan. The clips really do sound great. :)