The Whispers Greatest Hits (Leon Sylvers on Bass)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since I have been on such an Old School kick, I might as well mention that I picked up the Whispers Greatest Hits the same day I got the Larry Graham boxed set. I have always been a big fan of the Solar Records sound that was big in the late 70's and early 80's. These albums feature the Sylvers brothers, Leon, Ricky, and Foster on bass. They were distinctive because they used picks plus flatwound strings on Rickenbackers, often with the mutes on. Later, I think they switched to roundwounds. Their playing features some killer groove playing, often using sixteenth notes. Check out the Whispers or other Solrar acts like Shalamar or Dynasty if you get the chance.
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If I remember correctly Keni Burke from the Five Stairsteps and invisible mans band played on a tune or two by the Whispers in the late 70's.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree the Sylvers Brothers had a distinct style that has so far not been matched but then todays R&B in no way compares to back in the day!! They should give a clinic on what they did back then!