Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Who Bass Tabs needed Badly!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, my band has a gig this weekend on Saturday and I need a bass tab for:
    Shakin' All Over (Live at Leeds Version)
    and
    My Generation (Live at Leeds Version)
    I can play most of the My Gen., just not when they switch around. I thought I could play Shakin' All Over but here I was thinking of Happy Jack for some reason. If anyone out there can help please do!!!!!!!
    Ray

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    And yes, I've looked just about everywhere. I even tried to tab them myself but I just don't have anymore time. Gotta go start to shove the loaner 1/2 stack into an '88 firebird (very hard to do). Thanks everyone!

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My Generation is in the Tabs archive here at Talkbass - not the Live at Leeds version, and I don't know how different it is??? Maybe it's a start for you though!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've got to hand it to ya'! You've managed to pick some of the most impossible to duplicate songs I've heard!:eek:

These songs represent a sort of interplay between John Entwistle and Keith Moon that even John couldn't duplicate without the benefit of Keith.

Rather, you'd be best off to try for your own interplay with the drummer when the jamm sections come in. Try learning the key the song is in and learning to outline the guitar's chords while playing with the drummer.

It's extremely hard to come up with that! The Who were able to do it because they've been playing together night and day with no breaks for over a decade by then!

For Shakin' All Over, the basic song's in the key of "E".

So, for the verse, the basic part is E/E/D/B. The chorus is the same pattern, but start on the A string instead of the E.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i stopped to try to play The Who songs and i decided that Mr. Entwhistle's basslines are too awesome to be covered by me and the guys in my band in a decent way. and that Keith Moon factor...
    i wich you GOOd luck!

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey thanks you guys. I already know I can play the normal recorded version of My Gen. Thanks for the help on Shakin' All Over!! We kindof have no choice to play these songs though, They are the ones the people wanted us to play so we were like "yeah we can play those"... Well, Were gonna go Jam a little bit more now, we have to get these right! Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it very much!!!!

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're going to do it, my advice to you to make it sound half-way decent is to limit your left hand movement around the minor pentatonic scales in E and A, but pay more attention to the groove the drummer's laying down. Entwistle's technique involves a lot of "hit the string when the stick hits the drums". It's not a bad technique, at all...but is very tricky!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...and don't be afraid to add a little "chorus", if you'd like.:D

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hehehe, I'm too cheap to own a chorus pedal! I have no pedals at all :(. I need to get an overdrive and a chorus somewhere!

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Entwistle has both in his setup...except they're not in the form of pedals. They're in the form of a Digitech rack unit...

In case you're ever interested, anyway...http://www.digitech.com/artistpgs/entwistle.htm