Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Who DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cecile, Dec 22, 2004.

1. One of my bass teachers told me that he watched this concert dvd of the who where on the menu it has the option of the camera being on Endwisle (sp?) the entire time and you can only hear the bass playing. He said it was a concert from the 70's. Does anyone know which dvd it is?

2. I just picked up the 'Live at the Isle of Wight' DVD and it's not on this one... my guess is it's on 'Live at Leeds'?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Kids Are Alright features one or two songs where the sound and video only pick up Entwistle playing the Spyder :cool: . Very cool to watch!

4. he said it was an entire concert that you could have the camera on their guitarist or entwistle, he could have told me wrong though

5. It's the deluxe edition of "The Kids are Alright" DVD, the stuff is on the second DVD, and no, it's not the whole concert, it's 2 songs... Baba O Riley and one other... it's under "Ox cam"

6. Kids are alright - second disk.
    Ox Cam for W'ont be fooled again and Baba O'riley.
    You can watch the 2 songs and pick which camera you want.
    Have fun and turn up your speakers!!! :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's amazing how 'gnarly' Entwistle's bass tone was when solo'd!
    Great stuff!

8. Just received my copy of "The Kids Are Alright" - great stuff! I remember being blown away by "The Who" as a teenager in the mid-sixties when I lived in England. They were the best live band bar none! So much better live than the Stones (still are…) - and this DVD proves it! Excellent production by Jeff Stein - interesting comment by Jon Astley (Mastering & re-mixing) about bringing out the the DI track of John Entwhistle's bass onto a separate track, for a couple of the numbers featured in the second disc in "The Ox". He said something like he couldn't understand why they did it, but it might be of interest to someone (he supposed… :rolleyes: !!!) - anyway, it's a great feature, and shows exactly what a great player The Ox was. Also, the uncut version of "A Quick One (While He's Away)" is a gem, and no wonder the Stones didn't want to release it…

- Wil

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just picked up The Stones' Rock & Roll Circus("...no wonder The Stones didn't want to release it") & Gimme Shelter. Great Rock/Pop tunes..nevertheless, they are pretty terrible LIVE.
    (IMO, Watts is their best player LIVE).

10. I won't take anything away from The Who, but the one time I saw the Stones live I wasn't even planning to stay to watch them and they totally won me over. They still rock it even now.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Just do yourself a favor an don't get the most recent DVD "The Who Live In Boston." I bought it 'cuz it was cheap and I was curious about how they'd sound with Pino Palladino. What a bunch of crap. Townshend basically phones his performance in. He's got his brother singing most of his parts and Pino (who I generally admire) may as well be any session cat playing the notes and getting paid. No balls at all.

Matter of fact, after spending hundreds of dollars on Who bootlegs over the years, I don't even want it in my collection. I fear that it will suck the cool out of my "Live At Charlton" video. I'll send it to anybody in the U.S. for $8.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey I have a Live at Swansea vinyl. Pretty good I think.