Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Who-Live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 16, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    My mate told me that the Who were voted the "loudest band of the 20th century". Now i was just wondering what amps & Pa systems they used, and how much they cost.
    The other thing i was told, was that, the sound they produced was so loud that it was 3 decibels of the sound of a jumbo jet taking off!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yup! They're in the Guiness Book of Worlds Records for having the loudest show ever. That record was set by them back in the early or mid 1970's...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So, you sound like you're going to pony up the cash for Who-level gear? :cool: I've seen the Who from several different "periods" and their amplification constantly changed. Townsend, (who seemed to change the least), likes those HiWatts and Enstwistle used Sunns when I first saw him, with a Sunn PA. The last I saw, he was using Ashdown for his rig. The PA appeared to be a custom job, probably arranged through a US sound contractor. I imagine some of our UK brethern wil be more up to date.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-16-2001 at 01:06 PM]

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's endorsing Ashdown...he's even got his own signature line, now. Check out the latest issue of Bass Player magazine...there's a whole page ad by Ashdown featuring Thunderfingers himself!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

RAM- Thanks! This just occured to me as I got offline. Got some stuff from Ashly in the mail this morning...hardening of the arteries, I guess.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't find the webpage anymore, but there was also a listing of Pete's gear going back through the ages...a pretty complete listing. Very cool. Among the list was his old HiWatt amps that were customized to his needs...If I find it, I'll post it.

7. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    cheers

8. I read an interview with John, and he said that he used a 1600watt system in the 70's, and did not go thru the PA 'cos it distorted the vocals too much.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, but ironically, sometimes the only bass that made it to tape came through his vocal microphone!:eek:

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yes, I remember reading a recent interview with the Ox where he said he tried to do a live recording with his solo group (if that's not a contradiction in terms), using the mix in the monitors, but only realised after the gig that he hadn't put any bass in the monitors because it was already loud enough onstage.

There's quite a detailed breakdown (and diagrams) of everything John uses for his current life stuff on his website, http://www.johnentwistle.com