Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Who-live

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 16, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    My mate told me that the Who were voted the loudest band of the 20th century. Now i was just wondering what amps & Pa systems they used, and how much they cost.
    The other thing i was told, was that, the sound they produced was so loud that it was 3 decibels of the sound of a jumbo jet taking off!

2. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I read they were loud as hell , back in the day. But when I saw them last summer (3rd time) they were about equal to most concerts, mabye a little less bass and more treble. The loudest I've ever experienced was Lalapaloza '92ish esp. when MINISTRY played OMG!
    RGDS

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yeah, they play at a much lower volume now due to Pete Townshend's hearing deteriorating - something which he attributes to the band's volume level in the seventies. I saw them in November, and the volume wasn't as high as some other gigs I've been to, and I couldn't hear the bass at all - there was no low end! I know that Entwistle generally likes a trebly sound, but that was ridiculous!

The Who were renowned in the sixites for being one of the first bands to play with giant Marshall stacks, which is where the volume came from. I don't know how much these would cost today, but I'm sure they're not cheap...

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Didn't see The Who this time out, but Entwistle's tone on his last live solo effort was awful. I'm a big fan of the Squire/Entwistle/Geddy Lee tebble/mid-range tone, but this was still painful. No bass range and so much fuzz/processing that it sounded more like a synth than a bass!!

BTW, shouldn't this be in a different category?