1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The whussification of America continues.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassrique, May 11, 2011.

1. So these kids had a multi-tool and a lighter in their lacrosse bags for fixing equipment. They were arrested at school. I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife when I was a kid. Big deal. Oh yeah, when I smoked for ~one year in high school, I carried a lighter. I guess that made me a terrorist. WTH?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Controversy Over Suspension Of 2 Easton High Lacrosse Players « CBS Baltimore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    but... but.... they might....fix something....or even....light...................................................................................................something.

We can't have that. That's why we hired a janitor. I mean custodial engineer.

3. I'm allowed to bring a knife as long as it is 3' or under.

4. High school or college?

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I'm hoping that the limit's really 3', but suspect you really mean 3".

Otherwise, flashing sabres in the school tennis courts here we come!

6. i kept a pocket knife and a zippo with me at all times during high school. i used them for cutting things and lighting them on fire. i also used to keep fire crackers in my car and light them with the cars cigarette lighter and throw them out the window.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    don't look now, but there's a black van outside of your house. :ninja:

8. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    As a student, I used to have cigarettes and lighters with me in highschool all the time. I even smoked "in school", in the teacher's lounge when it was too cold or rainy outside. It was a bit strange having a teacher bum a light off me though. (Yes that was in the 70's)

9. that van is always there. it is the drug dealer not the law. :eyebrow:

i really need to move to a better neighborhood.:meh:

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    oh snap!!! lol

11. I always had a victorinox brand pocket knife in my pocket in high school. And I got out just two years ago. I knew exactly how much crap I could get into, and I really don't care.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I blame it our litigious society. People are so scared of being sued for every little thing that you end up with restrictions on everything.

13. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    wow that's ridiculous

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very silly. But, having gone to public school in the '70s and '80s, it always seems like the rulemakers have been enemies of common sense. I knew a couple girls who had gym as their last class of the day one year. Well, a bunch of us liked to hang out at our favorite teacher's classroom for a while after the day was over as she graded papers and whatnot.

Wouldn't you know it, the assistant principal got wound up and admonished the girls for breaking the rules by wearing shorts in the halls (you couldn't wear shorts to class in those days) even though it was afterhours.

15. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Nazi Germany had a zero tolerance policy...no good came of it.

What happened to the days when authority figures could make decisions on their own?

16. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'm honestly shocked.

We used to have a team knife and grill lighter to patch the wrestling mat and mend our shoes. How else were we supposed to use the sports tape or heat-to-use mat patch stuff?

Major face-palm.

17. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    zero tolerance=zero brains

oh, and .........

[​IMG]

18. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    wait, you can make lighters explode?

somebody needs to show me how.

and...let's be serious here. sure, he used the lighter to fix his lacrosse stick. then he turned around and took a bowl hit with it, too. lol

19. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Amazing....
    Next you'll be telling me they wanna take guns away from responsible adults. Like that could ever happen.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If this is such a big deal, why arn't Americans doing something about it? There's a system in place to get laws changed - unless of course, this is really what the majority wants.