Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the wierdest and funniest gig ever (including conspiricy and cross dressing)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Georgia, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Georgia

Georgia

Aug 29, 2000
    London baby !
    The lead in my band, Calum, had an open evening at his high school and he was asked to do an example of non-classical music for the prospective parents. He is his schools little chicld prodigy so he said he would only if his band could do it. I do not go to Calums school unlike the rest of the band and after a lot of persuading his school said yes.

Problem 1. He goes to an all boys school. I am female. We played in a little room and the parents dropped in and out to see us. The parents were very surprised to see what looked like a girl in the school uniform but luckily for me they were to polite to ask. After half an hour, parents could not get into the room as word had got around that Calum had smuggled a girl into the school.

Problem 2. Calum had only asked the nice teachers whether I could do the open evening and when I was tuning up an old woman teacher came into the room and asked Calum who I was. (Luckily I was wearing his school uniform instead of my own.) Calum said I had started a week ago and could not speak English. I DO NOT look like a guy at all and she looked at me very carefully and asked which class I was in. Luckily for me Calum intervened by saying 'she, I mean he's lost his voice' and I was saved.

If any one has anything wierder than this I will be very surprised. (oh yeah, i went back the next night to do their prom, but I did not have to cross dress ;)

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I got a weird experience. We played an outdoor show at an ampitheater last summer with several nationally known acts. I was sitting backstage drinking a bottled water and this girl who had snuck backstage came up to me. She started to flirt and asked for photos, etc. She was painfully drunk and was rather annoying. Well, she harassed us the entire day for damn near 8 or so hours. Getting drunker every minute. Finally she came up to out guitarist and was trying to get him to go a hotel room and trying to get me into her car. Well, we brushed her off. Anway, the last we saw of her, she was falling down a flight of steps. Never saw her again.

3. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    JWC that's not wierd. That's a very common occurence. ;)

4. heh, I wish!! :D

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    how do you post pics? can you?
    i have some of the drunk gal that are a trip

6. It's funny when people besides me fall down stairs... hehehe... I'm laughin' at that drunk girl right now...

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

First you have to put the photos on the web, http://www.photopoint.com has a free posting service.

Next, you do this [​IMG] by putting the image tag, url of the image and close the image tag like so:
    [img*]typeurlofphotohere[/img*]
    But leave out the *'s, I just put them in there so that you could see the instructions.

8. mayfairmistress0

mayfairmistress0

Oct 26, 2000
    just TRY to tell me female bassist dont KICK!

9. Female bassists rock, and they're always good looking. Unless you can prove me wrong. There was one playing for a sydney band called Psi Kore. nutty sh$t.

As for falling down stairs, I had a friend of mine fall down stairs cause she wasn't watching where she was going. Although the intelligence of this person is constantly in question, it would've looked funny nevertheless. :)

Strangest occurence i ever saw/heard about at a gig was some guy apparently crapped his pants in the mosh pit. This may be disputed but my god did he stink like it. It only smelt when he was near. Plus he was geeky looking with authentic elastic to keep his glasses on, plus he was the only one NOT wearing anything agro in what was a very Death/Gothic gig. Coincedence?? :D

Merls

10. mayfairmistress0

mayfairmistress0

Oct 26, 2000
    i can try to prove you wrong, not saying its gona work, though...

that chick from white zombie is scary as hell.

11. Georgia

Georgia

Aug 29, 2000
    London baby !
    THANK YOU mayfairmistress0

I have been trying to get that message across for some time now. Female bassists rock. period. full stop.
    i will make a small list off the top of my head.

Me
    Talena (kiTTie)
    perfect circle bassist (rayna?)
    coal chamber bassist (meegs?)
    Talena

that is all, bye bye now

12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    My current keyboardist fronted a very strange, very popular band in the mid 90's in Philly called Inspector 12 ( http://www.mp3.com/inspector12 ).

He invited Scott (my guitarist) and I to "sit in" with a band when they opened for Morphine at the Khyber in Philly; Scott wore a catcher's mask and played accordian, I wore a Sombrero and played trumpet. We played the song "Joe's the Mailman" (last track on mp3.com) for about 30 minutes.

It was a great show. :D

13. I know that, pity i never seem to meet them! I hear of and occasionally see chick bass players, and yes some do shat all over the blokes! :)

lol why do i keep thinking this is going somewhere corny, eg. My name is merlin, I'm 17 from Australia, and will make you all hot an...........

See my point....

I'm going to hide behind John Turner now in Off Topic. Do i dare, that is the question, hide behind him??? Scary thoughts... :D

Merls

14. *sigh* How true, how true!!

'Cept for at my school.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Georgia

Georgia

Aug 29, 2000
    London baby !
    Merlin, don't hide, i'm sure your a very nice young man. I have a complaint, how come i dont get more messages like that one ?? huh ?? actually wait, don't answer that. I sound like Goth Barbie.

I'm off to hide now

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I posted this earlier in another thread. We had a gig on a large raft that was tied to the shore. The river ran pretty fast due to heavy rains. 20 mins into the gig, the ropes snapped and we drifted off...carried on playing until the electrical connection was lost too. Took several boats and half an hour to get us back....

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Cross dressing, eh? I was playing in a band showcase once with a few bands, and in order to make an impact some decided to try and make me wear my sister's school uniform - think AC/DC in drag. Suffice to say, I was less than keen to do so... my bum would have looked HUGE in that skirt! :D