Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the wife isn't terribly happy with me right now!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jan 5, 2004.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have been using a gk 700rb head with an Ampeg BSE410HLF cab for some time. But a few weeks ago, I picked up one of the new GK 115SBX cabs with a trashed out speaker. I replaced that with an Eminence 15, and picked up the GK 410SBX to go with it. I haven't had it out to practice yet, but in the basement it sounds pretty cool!

P@

[​IMG]

2. And lucky for you, the couch looks comfy too. ;)

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If that's all it takes to get your wife riled up, maybe I don't have it so bad after all;)

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh baby, oh baby!

G...K...must....resist.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ...we've all been there a time or two...;)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    After the time I drove to Minneapolis and back in one day (800 mile round trip) to pick up a used Acoustic 301 cabinet, my wife made me promise that if I ever did it again, I'd spend the night in the kid's outdoor playhouse.

Now I only drive to Wisconsin:D

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Look's nice PM.
    Too bad you can only run those cabs in full range without the advantage of the 50 watt tweet amp. It should be nice and warm though. I would like to hear those cabs myself! Tell us how it comes out when you crank it at practice!

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

After the time I drove to Minneapolis and back in one day (800 mile round trip) to pick up a used Acoustic 301 cabinet, my wife made me promise that if I ever did it again, I'd spend the night in the kid's outdoor playhouse.

Hmmm...will an SVT cab fit in the playhouse?

10. Yes. :eek:

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Some flowers and a hot tub should get you back in the big bed. Somehow you gotta get her away from watching Oprah..!!!.... Freakin' empowerment CRAP.....!!!

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey p@! That 4x10 looks really awesome. I'm using a 700RB too and totally dig it. :D

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    She's really going have your ass when you start a fire in the basement 'cuz you modified your amp's ground with one of those orange adapters and then connected into a $1.50 extension cord. Be careful.......safety first.

14. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    How does your GK 4x10 + 1x15 sound copared to Ampeg 410hlf?

15. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Nice.

Wait a second... do I see g*itars in the background though? Fix that pic!

16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Now you're gonna be makin the turkey pot pie...!!!

17. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    chaoslord - the couch is very comfy... I try to nap daily on it! :D

Sufenta - I was only using that cable to test things out once I got it all home... I didn't leave it unattended, and now it isn't even hooked up at the house... but I appreciate the concern!

Thain - The Ampeg cab is a killer cab, one of my favorites by far... It is a great full range cab! I think the 410&115 is comparable, with a little more low-end to things, but I have no complaints

Electricmayhem - yes, those are guitars.... I am a transplanted dental flosser twanger wanker... But what you don't see is my killer 80's MIJ Tele or my Drums! :D

I hope to get the band back to practice this week after the holiday hiatus, and the full rig is going with me... so I should have more info this week!

P@

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    BTW... an addendum from the wife (who was looking over my shoulder as I wrote my first reply)...

she wasn't mad that I bought it... she was mad that I had it all set up in the basement and was playing with it. Curiously enough, she isn't terribly happy about the drums either! :D

She is actually really cool about it all...

P@

19. Thain

Thain

Dec 27, 2003
    Finland
    Please post how your new rig sounds at band practice compared to 410hlf. I'm considering either svt410hlf or svt410he (+115he possibly later) to go with my v4bh head.

20. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    well the new rig sounds very cool.... But it is very different from the Ampeg cabinet. It took most of practice to get a sound that I thought was pretty cool. The GK cabs were much more mid-rangy than I thought they would be, and it really took some tweaking to add a nice low ended punch to everything. The sound is very full, very punchy. It stuck out in practice very well, against Guitar A who plays through a Mesa Boogie Dual REctifier half-stack and against Guitar B that plays through a Line 6 AX2 Combo. The sound was good, just not what I was used to. It definately had a more "modern" vibe to it than you might get from an Ampeg rig... Clarity was top notch, the power for the rig was more than enough, the rig is good!

P@