The wife says don't sell this one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Take note of my SO and keep the bass, putting my GAS on hold for a while

245 vote(s)
    81.4%
  2. Ignore the advice of "her indoors", sell the bass and feed my GAS

16 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Ask her to bake a carrot cake

40 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    So, my other half has been pretty good about my bass hoarding over the years, even when I spent months without playing and still bought basses.

The current count is around 15 (I think).

Over the years, she has also given me a few basses as presents (xmas, burthday etc.), the last bass related gift was a Rumble 500C.

Anyways, lately I am trying to cut down on the amount of basses I own, replacing quantity with a few basses that I really want. The current aim is for a decent Jazz bass (I am pretty focused on a Sandberg California TT4), for which I planned on selling a few that I don't use too often.

One of these basses is the ESP LTD B-205SM. This was a gift from her, and although she has absolutely no issue with me getting rid of basses she gave me, she really doesn't want me to sell this one.

I don't play it hardly at all (I stick to 4 strings) and it just gets a clean and a check over now and again, but her reasoning is that it is the best looking bass she has seen.

I admit that I was very lucky to get the detail in the finish (it was ordered unseen over the internet), and the bass is excellent (even more so for it's price), but I really don't pick up a 5er very often (and when I do it is usually and ABG strung EADGC).

So, do I sell the bass anyway which would give me enough cash to order the Sandberg, or take note of my beloved wife on one of the rare ocasions when she gives her opinion on my basses?

Pops OB and Ian Perge like this.
  2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sorry, this is the bass...

(and yes, I must take a better photo!)

IMG_20141228_183120_zps694d46d8.gif

3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    My wife has talked me out of selling unused basses because she liked how they sounded or how they looked. Sometimes it took me a long time to realize she was right but in my case she has been right, YMMV of course. I would keep it just because she bought it for you and because she likes it.

Broke, Leiria, seang15 and 19 others like this.
  4. There will always be basses. There won't always be wives so cool. Pick your battles...

JCooper, Leiria, seang15 and 69 others like this.
  5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Listen to the Lady.....

Trust me on this one....You won't regret it :):thumbsup:

6. Maybe even thank her endlessly and praise how smart she is...

7. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    dude, serious question: How well do you know women?

JCooper, seang15, craigie and 43 others like this.
  8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    LOL, this one for nearly 20 years ;)

Seriously though, she really isn't materialistic at all, I literally have to drag her shopping (even when it is for her).

She is more a "if you don't use it, bin it, sell it, or just make it go away!" :D

This is the reason I am thinking that I had better keep this one!!

Leiria, seang15, Plectrum72 and 11 others like this.
  9. IMG_0161.JPG My SO wants me to keep my 4000.
    It IS a fabulous bass,but i have 4 other Ricks,and the 4000 gets the least regular use.
    But maybe he's right.....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  10. You can't sell this bass. C'mon now be serious. There is no question.

tattooSAM, ialma, Plectrum72 and 10 others like this.
  11. Rib 13

Rib 13 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    I dunno man - my wife bought me two basses and they automatically go into the 'DO NOT EVER SELL" category, even if I hardly play them (Well, I do play the Jazz Deluxe V quite a bit).....as a matter of fact, they also go into the "Remind my wife just how special those instruments are every now and then" category which diverges into the sub-category of "Those basses will always be special to me, hun, because your thoughts and love went into them" even if they mostly reside in their cases as I opt for my #1s....................Best of luck to you :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Let's not go over the top here :laugh:

Guiseppe and JACink like this.
  13. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Hang onto that one. You'll never regret keeping it as sharply as you may regret selling it.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It would be different if selling it would net you a grand. It won't. So keep it.

Guiseppe, Ikkir, Lvjoebass and 6 others like this.
  15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Totally agree with you, and my favourite bass is the first one she gave me (Squier Jaguar Passive) and she went through all sorts of issues to get it (proving to me that she knew a heck of a lot more about basses than I thought).

The thing is, she has given me a ton of amazing gifts over the last 15 years we have been together, but life circumstances sometimes make it impossible to keep everything we would like to. When this happens, if we are not attached to the material things in life, but to the person, it makes it a lot easier to move on to better times.

I am not saying that selling the bass (especially to buy another one) is a necessity, as I have experience learning about what is essential in life and what isn't, I just know that neither my wife or myself are attached to anything we own, only who and what we are.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    No, it definitely won't net me a grand, but the funny thing is, it will net me around $550 with used prices here!

(being approximately what I am short to pull the trigger on the Sandberg, which is probably the only thing that sparked this ;) )

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is a no brainer. Your WIFE gave it to you. She wants you to keep it. Nothing else matters.

jaybones, ialma, 40Hz and 38 others like this.
  18. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    This. Look at your poll numbers.

You're welcome.

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I was actually looking forwards to some carrot cake :(

2goody!, audreycashin and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Good call. But my wife bought me a guitar for my birthday once and although I had serious misgivings I traded it along with another one for a fixer-upper that was just in another class in every way. My wife was thrilled to see what she helped make happen. So i guess my advice is to trade wisely if you're going to off that one. Or_wink.gif