Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Wire on HBO

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oddentity, Sep 10, 2003.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Anyone watch The Wire on HBO? The second season recently ended, and it blew me away. I think The Wire is, by far, the best show on tv...

First season reruns start at the end of the month!

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Offtopic but why are they called seasons and not series?! Fair enough if you Americans wanna call them taht but it's catching on over here too :spit: :(

PS - I've never seen 'the wire', whats it about?

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    It's a cop show set in Baltimore, Maryland. It gives equal time and development to characters on both sides of the law. The characters themselves are never clearly good or bad - often the cops have dark sides and the criminals have redeeming qualities. The first season's theme was the drug trade in inner-city Baltimore; the second's was union corruption and smuggling on the city's waterfront.

However, the real themes of the series were deeper -- the first season examined how individuals work within larger bureaucracies (the police department or the drug gang). The second season dealt with the decline of the working class in a post-industrial city.

The plot writing is the sharpest I've ever seen, and the story is told like a novel, with each episode like a chapter in a book. The plot never resolves itself at the end of the hour, but arcs over the entire season -- each season follows a single case. The actors are uniformly excellent and they even get the Baltimore accents right (impressive because there are several British actors). All this combines to make a very gritty, realistic and gripping tv drama.

4. Interesting stuff, good guys ain't all good and vice versa. Plus, it has best the theme music on tv (IMHO).

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hell yeah - Blind Boys of Alabama covering Tom Waits, and Tom himself in the second season.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm a coule of years late, but I recently started watching the Wire for the first time. I'm about half way through season 3. Amazing show. Right up there with the Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

friskinator and Immigrant like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    David Simon really had his finger on the pulse of what's happening in America's cities regarding crime, the drug trade and police work. I think his time as a reporter for the Baltimore Sun gave him some real insight into the problems facing so many people in a working class city like Baltimore. I think it's taken television audiences a good amount of time to catch up to shows like The Wire. And I suspect that given some time they'll also catch on to another great David Simon show, Treme, which was also on HBO. That show also featured some great acting, tough themes and some cast members who appeared on The Wire like Clarke Peters and Wendell Pierce. Plus, there's real New Orleans Jazz that's woven into that series. If you dig The Wire, you're probably going to love Treme, too.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah I've heard the same thing. That's next when I'm done with the Wire. It's so good. One minor thing that annoys me is McNulty's accent. He's a great character and a great actor, but his American accent is horrific.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I was actually surprised when I found out he was British, I thought he was alright as an American. Have you seen Sons of Anarchy? Jax (or whatever the main guys name is) does a much more bizarre American accent.

On the note of the show, The Wire is absolutely fantastic and one of the few shows from 2000-2010 actually up to par with The Sopranos. I think most people will never get into it, however, due to how real it is. Characters speak exactly like they would on the street, nothing is dumbed down for TV. I know several people who watched it and had a hard time following it at times. And yeah, if you are on TB and like The Wire, you will definitely enjoy Treme.

Tbone76 likes this.
  11. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Easily in my top 5 shows of all time. It's a tough one to digest, though. I watched the first few eps of the first season, gave up because I couldn't follow it, then came back to it at the urging of my wife. Glad I listened to her, because I was blown away once I returned and paid close attention. So many great characters on that show, and you empathize with the "bad guys" more often than not. Funnily enough, I watched a lot of it with the subtitles on - those thick Baltimore street accents were often difficult to make out.

Let's hope David Simon returns to HBO soon.

12. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Far and away the best "real life" American show I have watched.
    Memorable plot, acting and characters.
    Highly recommended.

Tbone76 likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Indeed. I watch everything with subtitles even when it's not stuff with thick accents. You absorb a lot more information that way. Now it's annoying if I'm at the movies or watching TV somewhere other than my house and there are no subtitles.

Still such a great show. I'm nearly done with season 3. I want to start rationing out the last two seasons to make it last but I know that's not gonna happen. I wanna learn the theme song with my band.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  15. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I really should start using subtitles on everything. There are a lot of shows where I have a really hard time understanding dialog, and my hearing is just fine. I recently watched the first season of Hannibal, and with Mads Mikkelsen's heavy accent plus muffled audio, it was nearly impossible to understand him.

Good call on the Wire theme song. The drummer in my band is also a fan, so I bet he'd be down for our band doing it, too.

16. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    My favorite TV show of all time. Going to start over again with teh wife here once we finally finish Sopranos.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    In my top ten of best shows ever! I went back and watched the whole series again last year, still holds up for me.

18. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I loved Homicide-Life on the Streets, David Simon's first show,so bought the Wire DVD box set, yet to watch it.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm up to the last episode and I can't bring myself to watch it. Not yet. I don't want it to be over.

Who's your favorite character? If you had to pick one. I think mine is Bubbles.

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The whole cast was great, but Snoop and Omar stand out for me. I love a show or movie that shows the shades of good and evil and also the cause and effect that causes people's behavior.

Tbone76 likes this.