Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Wizzy Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Mar 6, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fresh from All Hail Bob, my new Wizzy went out on a gig with me last night and my review is here:

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=531

We live in good times for bass gear, my friends! Especially if you're an old fart with a bad back like me but still want great sound. ;)

2. Hey Boogie, isn't your new guy a transmission line type?

Eminence makes a tasty whizzy cone 10" (BP102) that has a high reach for a 10... that whizzy cone is a nice deal for extending the highs without a cheap tweeter.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. The cone works...nice! ;)

4. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Why do I get the feeling I'll never see one of these used? Might just have to buy a new one and be through with it :)

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Man boogie, that review was just what i needed! (and toms too) I was looking for a single inexpensive cab for small gigs and serious practice, but i wanted something warm with good low end and it looks like you found it for me!

One quick question though, i like a LOT of solid low end, so do you think adding a second Wizzy (later) would add to the overall low end response? (i'm a little clueless in the area of the combined effects and ohmages of cabs)

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm sure 2 would be twice as good! ;) In fact, I think Tom has 2 of them...

But be sure your amp can handle a 2 ohm load as these cabs are 4 ohms.

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    yea i was planning on getting that kustom groove bass one i think it is....it's supposed to run nicely at 2 ohms and has some good power even at 4. I'm planning the cheapest possible route with the most kicka** possible tone haha :bassist:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two Wizzy's are just flat out wickedly good! Definitely more than twice as good as one, in my book. I normally run mine with an iAMP 800 (which will eat up a 2 ohm load), but I have also used both with my Walkabout, and they sound great pushed by the little Boogie. It sounds like experiences my vary, but my Walkabout has always done well with a 2 ohm load. It doesn't even get remotely hot, either.

Two Wizzy's are one of the best rigs I have heard, and certainly win in the "sound for the pound" category - and they are not even using neo drivers!

Tom.

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Amen Wizzy Brothers! I've just got one, which sounds great, but am thinking of getting another and selling everything else (2-210 cabs and 1001RB-II). What a rig that would be: WalkAbout, 2xWizzies.......~70lbs. total.

10. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Tom, seeing as you've tried both, can you compare the sound of the Wizzy to the CXL-112L?

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Wizzy has more midrange, is more full sounding, and is slightly warm (yet still quite clear). The CxL-112 goes deeper (though overall the lows are not as full), has more high end information, and is extremely clear and precise sounding (and not warm).

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I that exact rig the other night so that I could report back to another TBer, and let me tell you, the Walkabout through two Wizzy's sounds great! I have never had a problem running my Walkabout into a 2 ohm load (and in fact, it runs quite cool, even when pushing them hard for sustained periods), but keep in mind that some other Boogie owners have had less luck running a 2 ohm load, so use caution!

13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Tom....

A) How does the whizzy handle a low B? Is it comparable to the CxL?
    B) How flat is the whizzy's response for upright?
    C) How does the dual whizzy stack compare to a whizzy matched with a CxL-112? I believe you mentioned that you liked that combination fairly recently despite the ohmage differences. Would it be more neccesary to match the watts through each of these two differing cabs if paired up, or would it be feasible to run the same power through each?

Both the CxL's and the Whizzy's have really caught my fancy here recently.......

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Let me give these two cabs another whirl, with an eye (or ear, as the case may be) to your specific questions and report back tomorrow!

TB on the job! :D

15. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bless you TB!

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I had a chance to play around a little over lunch, and here were my results.

I think I have discussed elsewhere the general differnces between the Wizzy and the CxL-112 (Wizzy is more full sounding, warmer midrange; CxL-112 goes deeper, though not as full through the low-mids, and has scalpel-precise clarity). If you are talking a single cab, the CxL-112 definitely does a low B with more gusto (and can be pushed harder both volume-wise and bass-boost-wise) than the Wizzy. However, two Wizzy's definitely surpass the single CxL-112 in overall low end, including low B. Somewhat surprisingly, one Wizzy and the CxL-112 does not sound significantly different on the low end, and the mids are not really as cohesive as with two Wizzy's, though you do get some more control on the high end via the CxL-112's tweeter. Overall, I preferred two Wizzy's to the mixed 1x12 combo.

As for upright, the Wizzy has a very warm, musical presentation, with a hint of added bloom to the notes, but plenty of precision, and a nice, earthy fullness. I liked it a lot. The CxL-112 did not have the bloom (which is a good or bad thing, depending on your personal preference and what room you have to deal with), and was not as full sounding, but had a very articulate sound that seemed to emphasize the sound of my left-hand fingers, but not in a harsh way, which I found somewhat unusual. Normally, I consider too much "fingernoise" to be a bad thing, but it was more of a revealing thing than an obnoxious thing with the CxL-112. Two Wizzy's with the upright was sheer joy! :hyper:

For reference, I was using my iAMP 800, my 5-string is a modified DeArmond Pilot 5 Deluxe (with Bart p/u's and Aguilar OBP-1), and my upright is a late 40's (estimated) Kay, with a Barberra Bridge.

Hope this helps, Tom.

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That helped out quite a bit actually, thank you. I feel like I owe you money since I am using you as a personal shopper. ;)

Well now. Looks like I have a decision to mull over....

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, I admit that it's an addiction, and that it is prone to contagion, but I figure that if I need to have an addictive habit, bass gear beats drugs any day of the week!

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Got my Wizzy today and I'm diggin it so far! Won't play it out for awhiule but my Celinder jazz sounds great through it and the EA iamp 350...my search may be over...stay tuned....

(all I need now is either a demeter compulator or a SIB Fatdrive to complete my mini riggity!)