1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Wolf Alice album sounds fantastic

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by dirtgroove, Dec 1, 2017.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi Justin,
    So my girlfriend just played me some Wolf Alice playing live.
    I noticed the bassplayer with some stellar pbass and then a starfire sounds which initially made me wonder about who he might have been listening to . Then after listening and looking through the album notes my suspicions were confirmed. I really like that I can hear your influence on this band and this album sounds great.

I've listened to the record a few times this morning and it sounds as though it must have been a lot of fun to make.Good squished drum sounds and claustrophobic reverbs. At time's I feel like I'm hearing nods to some stellar early 90s bands like Cocteau Twins and Curve, but what I'm most impressed with is the the way that some of the synths hang in a way that makes me think of the m83 record from a few years ago. St Purple and Green on the album sounds especially cool.

Tom.

jmjbassplayer and Dan Bozek like this.
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you!

3. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    They're a superb band, saw them last year - support bands were all really good....but then they came on stage and WOW - OK, these guys are seriously good!!!
    Cracking song and Theo rocking the classic punk P-bass sound here

4. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    And from the same show, check out the nasty P'bass tone on this one - love it!!!

5. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Just won the Mercury Music Prize, well done all!

6. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks!!!!

Wild Steve likes this.