The wonders of a setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nfp01, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I purchased a black MIM Fender jazz fretless last week - we are doing 2 of Jaco's songs (Birdland and the Chicken (Birthday concert version, I think)) for the school jazz band this year, plus a solo piece that I'm working on. I was quite pleased with it, thinking it was all a fretless could be when you weren't Jaco himself. Not enough mwah, but it felt all in all comfortable.

A few days ago I noticed a horrible overtone on the D string. It sounded like a harmonic and was most noticeable acoustically, leading me to believe it was either a bad string or an innate property of the instrument. I could hear it through my Hartke kickback combo, but not through the school's Peavey Mark III and 4x10 cab. I took it down to the store again to see what was wrong. They did a little setup and checked for problems.

Half an hour later, I get the bass back and plug it in. Hit the D string and still get an overtone. Sigh. I started playing around a little bit, and was floored. This sounded almost nothing like the bass I had just brought in. Loads of mwah, tone to spare, and the strings were the perfect height. And it didn't cost me a cent since it was so new. It's amazing what a setup can do for a bass. Now if I could just get that finger funk down...