The wonders of BMG

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I recieved a few more cds from my BMG membership today, and realized that I've gotten over 60 cds from them over the past few years at an average of about $4.25 a cd. For anyone who wants to try some cds of bands they're not familiar with but doesn't want to pay much for them, BMG is the best way to go that I've found.

Every time I sign up for a 12 cd deal (which after shipping & handling and the one you have to buy adds up to about $52 total), I quit immediately, and within a month or two, BMG sends out an email saying they want your membership back and you can sign up for the 12 cd deal again. So long as you quit right after you get your last cd and pay on time, you won't get any extra cds sent to your house, and the online catalog has a huge amount of music not shown on those little flyers. I've gotten to explore a large amount of music I normally wouldn't have because of them. Good deal.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I used to sign myself up over and over, averaged out pretty good that way too.
  3. My friends did the whole thing where they joined, got the CDs, and then got another friend to join, then they'd unsubscribe, join again and repeat the whole process.

It's worked pretty well for them too.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Now if they would just sell some CDs I wanted to listen to :D
  5. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    BMG and the Columbia CD club do not pay artists for the CDs they sell- just another way artists get ripped off. It's a standard part of amost major recording contracts. Therefore, is there any reason to pay BMG? Hmm, a moral quandry.