1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The woodshed, the opportunity

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Shalto, Dec 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    I never went to music school, but I heard that advice given to students has included something among the lines of:

"practice as much as you can now because you will never have this much time again"

One of lockdown's silver linings has been extra woodshed time. A unique chance to build those chops. I'm determined to make some use of it. Fortunately, due to working from home I can often spend my lunch break with my instrument rather than just go for a walk or eat out like when I was in the office. So I'm getting more time and it's more fun.

Anyone else want to share their stories/tips of woodshedding in 2020 conditions?

BrotherMister and kobass like this.
  2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Good for you. I star5ted the lock down with that same mindset - I even set one my basses and a little amp in my home office, so I could pick it up and diddle for a few minutes while I was "working". But that didn't last long.
    I wish I'd had still had my "first year desire" when this hit, because this is exactly what we all should have been doing. But I actually went the other way, and played/practiced very little. Every time I forced myself to pick up the bass, I got uninterested after about 15 minutes.

I'm starting to come out of it a little in the last month or so, but this has been pretty wasted time from that perspective. The fact that I worked myself to exhaustion every day in the yard for 4 months didn't help, but I started that project because I was bored.

Shalto likes this.
  3. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    The whole stay home, work-at-home thing has actually cut into my musical pursuits pretty hard, as Mrs. Winslow and I share an office. Even if I were to play through headphones, I'd feel like I was being a disturbance to her while she's on her calls. So any notions I had about practicing more have pretty much gone out the proverbial window.

As it happens, there's also been a lot of work to do on, in, and around Fort Winslow that involves actual wood. And hammers, and nails.nail guns, and heavy/noisy things, and trips to the "home center." So I've been getting a lot done, but it's only musical if I hammer things rhythmically. :wacky:

smash.gif

Shalto likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I've been working from home too. I usually practice an hour before work, and hour at lunch and an hour at the end of the day. No doubt I'm playing the best I've played since I was playing full time in my 20's. I've never had a problem with motivating myself to practice so the plague isn't a problem for me.

Shalto likes this.
  5. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    Interesting, what do you think was behind the lack of interest pre-yard project?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Winslow likes this.
  6. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    Hammer along to the radio and it's percussion!

Winslow likes this.
  7. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    The lack of a commute can add a little extra time at the end of the day sometimes. I must admit not having transport myself to work has meant more sleep rather than more practice, but given better sleep = better learning I'll still call it a wise choice of that hour.

lfmn16 likes this.
  8. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    This is true, and it should be above every doorway and in ever rehearsal room in every music school.

Shalto likes this.
  9. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't really know, but I'm sure it had something to do with all the cancelled gigs. In March I had the fullest gig calendar of my - albeit short - gigging career and it felt like my primary band was finally starting to hit stride - plus I was playing with two other projects on the side. Had 5 gigs set up in a 3 week span! Having all those gigs just vanish was pretty disheartening. My primary band did manage to find three non paying gigs (one was a private event that WE financed) which helped us to stay interested as a band, and I practiced just enough to pull those off. We did resume somewhat regular rehearsals in June, but unless a gig was on the horizon, there wasn't a lot of commitment.

It seems I've transitioned from a "just want to play and learn as much as I can" phase, to just playing to prep for gigs. I'm not particularly proud of it, but that seems to be the reality. Not that I don't have gaps in my technique, but it's been a few years since I've really spent much time on personal development. I pretty much focus on locking down and staying sharp on set list songs now. Used to play a least some (30-60 minutes) pretty much every day. From April to November it was closer to 30-60 minutes per week - if that much.

Essentially no gigs to worry about, and nowhere to go, led me to take on one of my bigger home projects including burning off a couple of weeks of vacation time along the way.

In November, having finished my project, I found that I enjoyed playing again just to play and aside from the dozen new songs my band is working out, I've begun exploring different strings (play strictly flats - put some rounds back on one of my basses) which is leading me to work on a technique that ha completely eluded me so far, so perhaps I'm out of the funk - for now anyway.

Shalto likes this.
  10. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    Yeah I think it's something easy to slip into, just learning a song but not doing independent practice. Probably really easy to slip into with three bands. I can get like that when I have to learn a whole bunch of songs in a short time

Glad you are out of it

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021