Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the word for the day - IGNORE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 21, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    from now on, please do not engage any trolls in basses _WHATSOEVER_. just report them. let ryan or me "engage" them with our boots.

any name calling or other disrespect, any other violations of the usage agreement, anything along those lines. even if it's a _gray area_ and you're not sure, please just let ryan or me know about it and let us handle it. don't add to the fire, don't make more work for us if we have to "prune".

the basses forum is here to discuss our instrument and share opinions and knowledge. too many good and otherwise informative threads have been destroyed in the past because of the 2 way nature of these non-constructive trolling-conversations. i've had to close a few threads that got into juvenile pissing contests because of these "discussions", and i think that was the intention of certain participant(s) with an agenda.

i'm addressing this to all the good, participating members of this board - if you are accused of something, ignore it and report it. if someone calls you a name, ignore it and report it. see a trend? ;)

so, stay tuned for "what is the sound of one troll trolling?" or, "if a troll is obnoxious in a thread and nobody responds, how quickly will he be banned? "

(nods to rocky and bullwinkle) :D

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well said.;)

Chances are, if you ignore them, they will get bored and go away. And that makes this a much happier place for all of us. (well, John and I, anyway:) )

EDIT: I should have said ignore them AND report them to us.:D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jeez! Are you inferring that politics and religion don't belong in "Basses"???? ;)

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I missed a religion thread?

5. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Another great post JT. Your on a roll! :)

6. hey dont worry... ill just Troll my way along and create a thread putting down... hmm lets see... how about Judaism ... sounds good! see you all there!

:D

and well said John

7. its too bad that trolls hit that nerve in all the good TBers that make us retaliate instead of ignoring them. its like letting a mosquito suck your blood. you just watch as he lands and feel a slight tingle when he sticks you with his probiscus. but you have to resist slaping your arm and squshing the bastard.

so just run over to JT and let him pluck its wings off and end its life on your arm that is talkbass:D

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh, how may times have i wanted to pull the trigger on a troll !! but then again, i remember a time when i would engage in heated internet battle- no more, i gain nothing but maybe a headache and people will believe what they want and act how they want- i agree - ignore them and they will go away

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    remember, you shouldn't just ignore them - ignore them _AND_ report them - there's a link under every post in every thread that says "report this post to a moderator".

please use it. :)

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Preach it, John, preach it.

11. also, everybody has an ignore list, and posts by the people on it won't show up. give it a try.

12. Imply! Not infer. You are doing the inferring.

This counts as a troll!!!!!

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D:D

14. Bold text originally posted by dancehallclasher

also, everybody has an ignore list, and posts by the people on it won't show up. give it a try.

I wish the ignore feature would completely hide the unwanted user(s). The empty posts with "Click here to view the post" are kinda lame.

That's one for the vB folks though. :)

15. Indeed. Let's all do our part. I think everbody should carefully examine their bass(es) and look under the bridge for trolls. That's where they live, right? Under bridges.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ohh... what fun is that?:D

17. Mr. Turner, your post has offended me, and I'm reporting it to a moderator. :rolleyes:

:D

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    such wisdom has never been seen from a pin-headed doll! Amazing....

Great post JT...

P@

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Amen.. I enjoy these boards and feel with all of our collective experiences, questions/answers and opinions we all can benefit and learn from each other... Thats simple in itself and we may not agree with everything said, but hey so what you still have learned something... Playing music is something I'm sure we all enjoy and these boards are another cool part of that.. So all I can say is share, enjoy, respect and stop acting like guitar players (just kidding).. Steven...