Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Word" from a Little Old Lady

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mchildree, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    One of the other guys in my band plays bass (slab) in his church services. My family went over to attend Easter services there this morning, and as we left I was pulled aside by a little old lady who must've been 80, at least. She said "Mike, why didn't you bring your big bass? I hate it when Roger (my friend) plays that wimpy little thing. My late husband played the big bass...takes a REAL man to play those!"

She was dead serious. I got a great laugh from that.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Widowed? A thing for bass players? I think she was just flirting Mike!!! :)

We combined our music ministries for the Easter services.

Usually, in the "traditional" service we have a bassist playing arco db. (You are all too familiar with the bass) He plays every week. We installed a PU and it sounds pretty good through the PA.

So, Sunday we had him on the real bass and me on slab. My slab is a Modulus Q5 5 string with a huge fundamental. It just hammers the subs.

So, a guy approaches me after the service who normally goes to the traditional service and says "Thanks for playing. It's nice to have a bass."

You never know.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm constantly baffled by differing opinions on this instrument. I have a bandmate (guitarist) who is also a well-respected bass player around town, and he absolutely despises the sound of an upright! I don't get it...how can that be? Is it a genetic defect?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Kinda reminds me of a trumpet player I worked with, who insisted that he hated "Sophisticated Lady". Then I heard him try to play it, and I realized why he hated it.

5. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    If it were about a person we'd call it bigotry. :spit: Bass Bigotry, Hmmmm..... Some people are just narrow minded and think everything is about them.
    Walt MI/US

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A Lil Old Lady between 80 and 90 comes up to me at the end of every local Symphony concert I do and asks me to play 'Big Noise from Winnetcka'.
    I keep teller her the same thing each time. " Sorry Maam, but the Drummer doesen't know it" , and I smile.
    She smiles back and walks away.....