"The Word" from a Little Old Lady

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mchildree, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    One of the other guys in my band plays bass (slab) in his church services. My family went over to attend Easter services there this morning, and as we left I was pulled aside by a little old lady who must've been 80, at least. She said "Mike, why didn't you bring your big bass? I hate it when Roger (my friend) plays that wimpy little thing. My late husband played the big bass...takes a REAL man to play those!"

She was dead serious. I got a great laugh from that.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Widowed? A thing for bass players? I think she was just flirting Mike!!! :)

We combined our music ministries for the Easter services.

Usually, in the "traditional" service we have a bassist playing arco db. (You are all too familiar with the bass) He plays every week. We installed a PU and it sounds pretty good through the PA.

So, Sunday we had him on the real bass and me on slab. My slab is a Modulus Q5 5 string with a huge fundamental. It just hammers the subs.

So, a guy approaches me after the service who normally goes to the traditional service and says "Thanks for playing. It's nice to have a bass."

You never know.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm constantly baffled by differing opinions on this instrument. I have a bandmate (guitarist) who is also a well-respected bass player around town, and he absolutely despises the sound of an upright! I don't get it...how can that be? Is it a genetic defect?
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Kinda reminds me of a trumpet player I worked with, who insisted that he hated "Sophisticated Lady". Then I heard him try to play it, and I realized why he hated it.
  5. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    If it were about a person we'd call it bigotry. :spit: Bass Bigotry, Hmmmm..... Some people are just narrow minded and think everything is about them.
    Walt MI/US
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A Lil Old Lady between 80 and 90 comes up to me at the end of every local Symphony concert I do and asks me to play 'Big Noise from Winnetcka'.
    I keep teller her the same thing each time. " Sorry Maam, but the Drummer doesen't know it" , and I smile.
    She smiles back and walks away.....