1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Word Is out w Richard Bona

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dabass, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Has anyone heard the tribute to Jaco "The Word Is Out", released today......Richard Bona is an amazing talent, some killer bass on this CD. I'm sure, a fraction of what he's capable of....."we ain't seen nothing yet".

2. he plays on a track with the Jaco Pastorius Big Band, can't remember the tune (although I recall Mike Stern playing in it also). I could've sworn it was Jaco.

Check out his solo stuff; not really bass-chops heavy but beautiful stuff! He has an angelic voice.

He also played on Mike Stern's 'Voices' but again, not a lot of serious bass playing (except for the last track).

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bass Player dubbed Bona "The African Jaco" many, many issues back.

I have this Jaco Big Band cd coming in the mail...hopefully, it's today.
    The previous Big Band album was enjoyable...nice hearing some 'new' stuff + the 'old' stuff done in a different way.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There is a new Stern/Chambers/Bona DVD out (can be purchased at audiophileimports.com. They also are getting in a shipment of his new solo CD (Tiki) soon. I've heard the cuts posted on his website, and it's wonderful. His first three solo CD's are great also... not 'bass chops' CD's... just wonderful playing, writing and singing. Awesome player and talent, and a tone to die for... fretless, 'fat Fodera sound', Marcus-like J Bass sound... he does it all!

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The first time I heard him was in a jazz band led by a pianist who's name now escapes me.

Amazing player.

He has appeared several times in NYC.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Mike Stern live DVD is frighteningly great, Bona is superb on it!!

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    One of my favorite combo's is Lincoln Goines and Dennis Chambers, I gotta get this DVD, I gotta hear (see) Chambers and Bona together.

+1 Ken, Bona's CD's are CD's, not bass chops.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Word Is Out arrived today...right "Dania" is kickin' my ass.
    In the booklet, anyone notice that Oteil was called "a former member of The Allman Brothers Band & ARU"?

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Wish there was more of his bass playing on Pat Metheny's SPEAKING OF NOW LIVE but with Steve Rodby giving it up on the Big Dog, and the other players all needing some shine time it's understandable ... He sure does nice stuff on his solo albums.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Googled it.
    The Anthem CD with DD Jackson.
    Check it out sometime. Super.

11. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    He did a killer job on punk jazz!!

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Word Is Out was a little late getting to me, everybody plays great on it! You can tell all these cats really dug Jaco, but the stand outs for me are Richard Bona & Jimmy Haslip's playing.

13. I love Richard Bona!
    His Jaco tribute stuff is great, but I love his solo music! I just bought Scenes From My life and Reverance of Amazon a couple weeks ago; I highly reccomend them both. Bass playing is nice and groovy, not over the top at all, and his songwriting and vocals are oustanding.
    -Alex