1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The world has been taken over by the PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    There was a time when you wanted a J, you bought a Jazz.
    When you wanted a P, you bought a Precision.
    But now, the PJ is all the rave.

Some people believe that the PJ does not do a Jazz as well,
    or a Precision as well, as a traditional J or P.

I have one PJ, a VM SS Jaguar, but hardly ever use the J.
    Squier Affinity has abandoned the P altogether.

So why has the PJ become so dominate, and when did this domination start?
    Have you put your Precision or Jazz aside for your PJ?

clyde, TrevorG, 4andnomore and 4 others like this.
  2. PJ isn't dominant in my house. I do have an American Elite, but have never cared much for the other PJs I've owned.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    They are also a minority in my house. They have their place but I still prefer either a P or a J.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The same reason people buy swiss army knives even though they're the worst tool for every job.

haggardPHUNK, J_Bass, Ash700 and 67 others like this.
  5. pellomoco14

pellomoco14

Mar 2, 2017
    Newport, OR
    I'm not aware of any pj domination.
    In fact, alot of us don't care for them...
    I think its an especially good configuration for fretless.

zortation, Dave Neal, Eric66 and 11 others like this.
  6. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    The world hasn't been taken over by p/j basses. Regular p and j basses are selling just fine. P/J basses are popular because they give you everything you get with a traditional P bass with the added flexibility of being able to blend in the j bass pup to taste. How is that not a good thing?

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    PJ’s done well are awesome.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  8. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    This post is NOT about is the PJ bad, and I hope it doesn't turn into that.....057912

JRA likes this.
  9. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I feel like they are coming back. They were everything in the 80s, and then in the wilderness for a long time. They don't do the J thin especially well (unless you like the solo bridge pickup sound, which I don't) but they pretty well can nail the P tone if you turn off the bridge pickup, and the combination is actually a pretty awesome thing on its own. I suppose the hang up on authenticity of the soloed tones is that about 90% of PJs seem to be active and the preamp may be baking in a certain sound

mjm666, Chauffer, Grufolo and 15 others like this.
  10. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    If it is indeed the case, I haven’t seen it, but no matter.

Regardless of what the world does, I’ll keep my Ps and Js separate, thank you very much.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Pretty much this.

P/J basses have been around at least since the 70's when guys started putting Jazz pickups at the bridge position on their P basses. It's just a different flavor and the thing is I don't go looking for any of my P/J basses to sound like a regular P or J. I have a P Bass if that's what I want. I usually have the P pup wide open and the J rolled in for a little more bite.

DTRN, mjm666, Chauffer and 20 others like this.
  12. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    No, my point is that the p/j configuration is popular for a reason, but the traditional p and j basses aren't in danger of extinction because of it.

13. Naw.

14. I had a PJ. Sounded much better with bridge J pup turned off.

15. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    I have a Ibanez Talman 300 which is a PH and you can tap the H to make it a single coil. It has a blend know and active boost/cut treble and bass pots. By far the most versatile instrument in my group. It does a P really well and is the only bass I have with a P pup. It does the solo bridge J thing alright but I've never been too into that sound.... thanks Jaco for making everyone playing a solo bridge J sound like you. The times I've taken it out to gigs or rehearsals I make eye contact with someone in the group when we both hear it sounding awesome in the mix like we're both surprised. It's just another sonic offering. If you like straight P basses. You rock. If you like other instrument pup configs u also rock. Have fun out there with whatever you have.

16. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Like any design, it is about how well it is executed and how well the two pups integrate with each other. I like p/j configurations where the j pup is hum canceling and close in output to the split coil p pup. Otherwise there tends to be a significant output mismatch between the two and you are also blending in the 60 cycle hum from the j pup.

17. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Not here. I had dozen or more PJ basses, and they dont work for me.

18. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I hate that the Affinity P has gone to the wayside.
    That's a very good starter for many up and coming bassist.

In fact I have one, although it's been modded to hell and high waters,
    it's still a Affinity....057912

CallMeAl likes this.
  19. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    “Doninate” is an interesting word choice. I wonder what we would see if we looked at sales data on volumes of P vs PJ. I’m not sure we would use the word “dominate” when looking at facts?

FWIW I have a P, J and double ‘bucker EBMM, which does a PJ tone maybe nicer than most PJ’s do. No desire or dominance in this household.

mjm666, ejaggers and telecopy like this.
  20. Because, having the single in the bridge opens up a whole nother realm of tone in one simple P bass.

DTRN, Phila4Strings, TjTerry and 13 others like this.