The world's biggest subwoofer . . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmacleish, Apr 6, 2004.

1. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    . . . outside of a concert system (Their claim, not mine).

Sixteen 18" woofers, powered by . . . 12 watts per channel??

You gotta see this. And make allowance for the fact that this seems to be kind of a rough translation job from the original Italian.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That kind of looks like my room, except with less tubes.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Where's the "mouth" of the horn? From the pics it looks like the entire thing is sealed off with nowhere the that claimed "10Hz" to exit the enclosure?
  5. I TOTALY WANT THAT HOUSE!!2122~!`!1~1@!Q$!@% :eek: :eek: :bawl:

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I see 300B tubes :bassist:
  7. There's open grids in the floor on each side of the center channel. Here's the schematic It's linked at the bottom of the page-

I wanna get one of these for my stage rig
  8. pshhh, i can get better sound from my appartment :bag:
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I knew it would happen eventually. meets AudiogoN in a common thread! ;)
  10. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    A buddy of mine is a mechanical engineer and he told me about the most amazing "instrument" sound he ever heard. We both grew up as kids of professional orchestra musicians and have heard a lot of instruments in our lives.

In any event, he designs actuator valves for cracking towers in refineries. Some of these valves are designed to shunt crude oil and fractionates through giant multi-story columns.

He said he had this one steel valve that was about 120" long and 6" wide and would travel 4 feet in 1/120th of a second and the resultant strike at the base of the valve would shudder the entire industrial facility with a resounding drone like that of a giant bass guitar!

I told him we should design a series of them that could be actuated from a set of bass pedals for stadium use.

Anybody want to venture what frequency that note was?
  11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It would appear that the grids are not the mouth of the horn, they're just the point where the horn changes from being below floor level within the room. I think it's basically a 3 'length' (with two folds) horn, with two lengths below the floor and the final length being the room itself, so in the listening position you're sitting in the mouth of the horn (with a seriously anechoic wall just behind you).

A really elegant part of the design is that no (electrical) crossovers are used. The subwoofer system works from 10Hz to about 50Hz (a guess!), it's then acoustically crossed over to the direct/horn midrange arrays (8 on each side) which go all the way up to 10kHz and then the horn tweeters take over. All separated using acoustic filters. Beautiful. So elegant. And zero feedback in the amplification. There's even no low pass filter on the DAC's output to avoid phase shifts - instead it has an output transformer.

Perfect. Just perfect.

12. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow. I am amazed that no one in this bunch of power-crazed bass freaks is commenting on the tiny total amount of power this system uses.

That's TWELVE (12) watts per group of 8x18" drivers!

Do any of you even own an amp that small?
  13. I've got a 10 watt Crate. Should I go get a grip of 18's?
  14. I'm so disapionted, 12 watts per channel!! :spit: If that was mine, I'd have it powered by, (start dr. evil voice) 100 billion watts! AHAHHHHAHHAAAHHAHHHAHHAHHHAHAHHA! (end dr. evil voice)
  15. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Well, keep in mind the logarithmic nature of things. The subwoofer system has a sensitivity of 110dB, due to the sheer quantity of speakers working together. That means that with only 1 watt, the output would be 4 times louder than the level that would begin to do permanent damage to your hearing, which is 90dB. It's actually a very brilliant design, because with only 10 watts, we would bring the output to 120dB. This is considered to be the loudest noise one can discern. Above this level, the ears cannot perceive louder sounds; only more painful ones.