The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Writing catchy songs is a talent. Don't be hatin'

2. Mutato

Mutato Guest

Oct 15, 2008
    This thread is ridiculous.

3. I always liked Michael Anthony's playing. It always worked for the song and his high vocal harmonies are/were part of THE Van Halen sound.

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    I agree, it wouldn't make sense for him to be playing some crazy bass part, it would just sound cluttered.

5. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Jaco :)

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Popcorn time.

7. +1000

Good bass playing is not equivalent to masterful shredding. Crazy fills and death-defying riffs do not imply goodness, either; if they are inappropriately applied, they imply the opposite.

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I've seen live video's of Wentz.....trust me, he's HORRIBLE.
    I refuse to believe that he played on his records....flat out refuse to.

I'm gonna get pounded for this addition.......<flame retardant undies on>....Les Claypool.
    Sloppy- espesially on fretless- (what did that fretless do to him to deserve that?!?!??), timing sucks, tone (subjective I know) is horrible. Saw them live..........I felt bad for Les.
    And YES, I own a few Primus discs.

Aaron D likes this.
  9. popcorn.gif

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I kind of agree with Mikebass. Again, just my $0.02.

11. Surely Palmer played a few of those girls...

...or perhaps he didn't and that was why he had that particular surname... :bag:

12. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I would have to say Sid Vicious

13. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    It's too early in the morning for popcorn.

f-PopTarts-Kitty-3942.jpg

14. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Fieldy, not a terrible player just very over rated.

Aaron D likes this.
  15. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I could never tell whether or not Bill Wyman was any good. Because I could hardly ever hear what he was doing when he was with the Stones.

Whether or not he's a bad player, he's certainly one of the most buried-in-the-mix players of all time. Not his fault, I'm sure.

16. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Maybe taking solos is a bit ill-advised for a guy like him but I wouldn't go so far as to say that Michael Anthony sucks?

17. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Sorry but I gotta disagree with you. Cliff Williams knows exactly where his place in this band is, and that's where he keeps it. I respect him for his simplicity and great feel for the pocket. Him and Phil Rudd together make a great rhythm section to a great rock band...

I submit to you that if you isolated the bass parts from your "favorite" basses, and gave them a close scrutinizing listen, you'd be surprised at how "rough" they sound outside of the full band mix...

18. Exception: 'Emotional Rescue.' Pretty happening bass parts on that one.

19. He's the worst bassist to make it pro? Did the comedy hour start just now?

20. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Dec 2, 2008
    Cornwall, UK
    Ok, fair enough - some bass players need to keep it simple to stop a song being over complicated. I like AC/DC so I won't jump on the band wagon there, but Michael Anthony? Come on... he just held tight onto Eddie and Alex's coat tails, whimpering for them to drag him with them to fame and stardom. He is truly, truly awful. Simplicity is no excuse for how bad he is.

Aaron D likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.