The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FingerPulse

FingerPulse

Apr 14, 2008
    I take exception to the inclusion of Michael Anthony in this thread. I will grant you that he dosen't seem to be good soloist. His bass solos are more theatrical than a demonstration of his technical skill. He also keeps his parts relatively simple on a lot of the recordings, but duh, you've gotta give Eddie room to breathe.

Check out some of the older live clips where he tends to let loose a little and improvise. I've always liked what he did on this song:

2. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    He uses it more like a drum kit with every note. It's more percussive than grooving. That man has serious skill.

3. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    Most 'pro' bassists suck compared to us (except for those of us who are 'pro'); Isn't that right guys?

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    This topic always cracks me up. Guys like Cliff Williams, Adam Clayton & Michael Anthony ( just to name a few) are solid pocket players who laid down the appropriate bass lines for their bands' music. How does that make them suck? Let's see, Awesome timing, great self control & a deep understanding of doing what's best for the song. Yep, if ya keep your ego in check and do what's best for the band you must suck. LMFAO, now go back in your bedroom and wank off some more while the real players are living the dream.

Bigzeb likes this.
  5. Indeed. Check out some vids on youtube - he can definitely play!

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I agree with Pete Wentz. Very overrated in my opinion. I'd also add Mike Dirnt of Green Day to the list.

7. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    and more than likely made boatloads more money, contributed to more widely- known half-awesome rock n' roll songs than most people could ever hope to achieve. I'm sure a bunch of dudes on Talkbass calling him "the worst ever to go pro" has him weeping over some ample stacks of money...

Eddie and Alex must have noticed something that you're over-looking. You figure they'd have had to in order to be so generous as to offer a dude their coat tails...

8. OK, ok look..(places hand on forehead),... please give a critical listen to VH's version of 'Beautiful girls.' Tasteful upper register fills during the verses, walking lines during the outro choruses, pretty happening stuff, really.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Coudln't agree more with this. As a pocket player myself, I'd rather feel confident that I'm playing what fits the song and sounds good and tight than have a bunch of dudes on a bass forum blow smoke up my ass about what a brilliant and virtuostic player I am... just my opinion.

10. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Krist Novacelic.

11. DaveKirkpatrick

DaveKirkpatrick Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    West Virginia
    So let me get this right.....Michael Anthony pretends to chug whiskey on stage, but it's really iced tea?!? Ugh. Never a VH fan, but that is really, really, really lame. How can you be so safe while pretending to be "rock and roll' and simultaneously encourage completely reckless behavior. At least Sid had the decency to shoot real H.

12. The worst? Me of course :bag:
    Seriously, although I am "semi" retired now, years ago when I was playing exclusively for a living in "disco" orchestras and "show bands", between the stage antics, singing and dancing the playing sucked!
    I was fortunate to work with some educated (Berkley) musicians that were fusion freaks but would play Jazz & funk in the clubs for a paycheck. During that time I felt I was playing "music" for a change but even then the "musicians" wanted somebody with Jaco's technical ability on the Bass. :crying:
    Oh well I'm too old now to learn newer tricks and the "tribute" music my generation drools over is still fun to play. I think I have Rocco down but my hands can't handle the 32nd notes that well anymore.
    Vote for me :eyebrow:

13. The thing is, though, they began in those bands because they were all buddies with the others, when a lot of them couldn't play well, just young guys wanting to be rock stars (sound like anyone you might know?).

The band's signature sound is a result of the evolution of those buddies. If Adam Clayton had been a busier, more melodic player from the start then that would have worked into the U2 sound. What difference would that have made? One can only speculate.

The point is, I have to disagree that just because a minimalist's approach fits the bands sound it makes him a good player. A good musician, IMO, is always growing and exploring and trying new things.

14. And this has what, exactly, to do with playing bass? It was a SHOW. It's ENTERTAINMENT. :eyebrow:

15. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    No, he can actually play fairly decent compared to alot of others out there.

16. On that very first video of Micheal Anthony, he looks remarkably like a "special" grown man, and frankly, just using effects doesn't make it a good solo. That said, the man did what he needed to do in VH, I mean hell, Eddie IS that band.

17. Don't get so depressed bud, that's known as the "Grand Illusion" called "Show Business". Mike Anthony sold records, magazines, clothes and much much more with that VH logo on it because young idiotas thought he was a stone drunk! Go figure ;)
    It's when the doofs like Eddie VH believe they are really who their artificial image of themselves is. :spit:

18. There are always going to be advocates for Michael Anthony, and I like Cliff Williams a ton (especially on the earlier stuff), but here's a less controversial example, maybe one we can all agree on: Alec John Such. If I remember right, he was recently booted out of the band because, basically, he can't play for squat--he was hired mostly for the look. And he didn't play on the records--some other dude did, who eventually replaced him. Still, he was a pro for a long time, and I'm sure he made a ton of money off it.

19. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines

Yes except the lead singer writes all their songs, god I loathe pete wentz.

20. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok

+1

Knowing you're limitations and making a career within those boundries, isn't that what all great bass players do?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.