The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    these guys could have been the next big thing, but there bass player sure has some chops!!:D

2. See my post #53

3. amandolin

amandolin

Mar 16, 2008
    Lancaster, PA
    You mean prepubescent girls? :ninja:

4. Dunn, Jamerson, and Weeks did (do) a lot more than the straight quarters, eighths, and sixteenths of most of those being criticized in this thread. Jamerson was hugely melodic. You can play in the pocket and still be more than straight quarters, eighths, and sixteenths.

Maintaining a rythmic, melodic walking line is one of the most difficult challenges for a bassist.

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I think you really hit the nail on the head. If all the pros played like Berlin or Wooten then these true virtuosos would not stand out the way they do. A Ferrari is way sexier and much faster than my truck (IMO). That does not mean my truck sucks, it just does what I need it to do. No more no less. I personally strive to be the best I can be. I am well aware of my own limitations and try to do what is best for the people I'm working with/for at any given time. Some times, less is more and some times more is just right and some times over the top is what is needed. I will never be a "great" bassist, but I do have a decent rep for being solid and dependable. I am sure there are many who would say I "suck", but that's OK 'cause I get enough work to keep ME happy.

6. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    This thread is full of so much jealousy and ignorance that that it's just ridiculous. This type of arrogant conversation always brings out the worst in people.

IBTL

PS - Your favorite band sucks.

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Wentz is a pro cause he makes a living off of it. There's your green light.

I say the guy from The Darkness. In reality it probably was Sid Vicious.

No way that the originator of Tommy the Cat is the man of the hour. Not a chance. Intonotation issues? fo sho

8. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    WowgoodthreadNotThreadFailure.png

i think a lot of threads like these stem from jealousy "whos the worst player to go pro?" please all this time you spend b**ching about pete wentz and feildy is time you could be spending getting your chops in shape

i've no doubt most of you are more tech than nikki sixx but he's the one earning millions and sleeps in a bed full of sexy women and that just grids your gears doesnt it :smug:

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    HUGE +1

I defy anybody to listen to AC/DC's rhythm section and "NOT" want to start tapping their foot :) Together Cliff Williams and Phil Rudd probably define what a rock and roll rhythm section should sound like. They are rock solid and tight as hell.

OK, the rest of this is just my opinion.

If anybody thinks the ability to toss in a bunch of notes defines a great player, then they suffer from "one sided" thinking. A great player is one who can play a ton of notes or ten notes depending on what the song requires.

As far as who's the worst? Nobody! If they are in a band that's done major label recording and touring on a "concert" level, they can't be considered the "worst" period.

Just remember while we are all here chatting about it.........

They just jumped into their limo to cry all the way to the bank while counting their money ;)

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You know what really grinds my gears?....

This Lindsay Lohan. Lindsay Lohan with all those little outfits, jumping around there on stage, half-naked with your little outfits. Ya know? You're a... You're out there jumping around and I'm just sitting here with my beer. So, what am I supposed to do? What you want? You know, are we gonna go out? Is that what you're trying to - why why are you leaping around there, throwing those things all up in my, over there in my face? What do you want, Lindsay? Tell me what you want? Well, I'll tell you what you want, you want nothing. You want nothing. All right? Because we all know that no woman anywhere wants to have sex with anyone, and to titillate us with any thoughts otherwise is - is just bogus.

11. OpiateoftheBass

OpiateoftheBass

Dec 24, 2007
    Elmont,NY
    F*@k Pete Wentz!!!!!

12. Murderface? But that is a whole other can of worms.

13. markseb1

markseb1

Jul 11, 2007
    IMHO the worst bass players, pro or no, are those that are converted guitarists who have no real love for the bass, but play it only to be in the band.
    If you use the difficulty of the bass lines as a judge, my vote would be Gene Simmons.

tyohars likes this.
  14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Peter Tork?

monkey.jpg

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I hope in a few years my name will be included in this thread.

kx- likes this.
  16. haha +1

17. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    Pete Wentz can't play straight eighth notes in rhythm.

Not saying he's a bad bassist or anything, just throwing that out there.

18. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    EDIT: I now feel ashamed for even thinking of contributing to this thread.

Except to say that Nikki Sixx is just awful. Lik the "Grey's Anatomy" of bass players. Also, I believe "Grey's Anatomy is a terrible show.

19. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Verdine White, I swear every time I see this guy alone with a bass (I have seen him live also) he sounds like he just started playing bass recently and I refuse to believe he played on all those EW&F records dating back more than 20 years. His instructional video is....nevermind.

20. Dude. "Hoogie Boogie Land"?? :eyebrow: That not only hurt to hear but watch.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.