The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Dec 2, 2008
    Cornwall, UK
    I find it quite ironic that most of the flaming here is coming from the moral pedestal brigade - sure, there have been a few pops at Wentz, but I didn't even know who the guy was before this thread - a few people are saying that Adam Clayton/Michael Anthony/Nikki Sixx or whoever are not at all good at playing bass compared to a lot of other A-listers. Nobody is saying they are bad people or making it personal. The only people looking for arguments are those steam rollering in here with offensive language saying how pointless this thread is, and how evil we all are for having a bit of a laugh and a joke about some celebrities. If you don't like this thread, then don't write here and ruin it for other people, just take your moral highground elsewhere. And I totally agree with the Lindsey Lohan comments. Maybe we can all learn a little from the wisdom of Peter Griffin...

RandalPinkFloyd likes this.
  2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    These threads are always funny.

3. This is sheer genius. If you don't get it, too bad for you.

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Umm.....OK.
    But when he plays a note, lets say on a fretless with other instruments that are in tune, and he's not (in tune)..........is that serious skill???? Or is he going all "Micro-tonal" on us and we don't know?

Or when he is playing a fretted bass, and he's being "percussive" and his timing is off.....is that serious skill??? Or is he "micro sub-dividing" and we just don't "get it".

Or playing EITHER fretted or fretless and it's about as sloppy as it gets..........is that serious skill???

Because if any of the above defines serious skill.....then I'm a BAD MUTHAF*&%ER!!!!!!

And IMO, might not be the WORST. But if I made a list, he would be on it.

Actually, when I was a full time touring bassist, I guess you could say "pro" even, someone could say I was the worst.
    If fact I think some did!!!:D

5. This just in...Michael Anthony sucks!...:rollno: c'mon guys,Y'all act like being a pro bassist pays well!:rollno::help: We are all the worst in the end!

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yep, any bassist who would take money for going on arena tours and putting out CD's while just holding down the bottom must suck. We all know to be a true artist you must suffer in poverty and isolation for the sake of "true art". No hot chicks, no fun, no travel, no pay check and for goodness sake never, I mean never play in public or you suck and are a sell out. :D

7. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I think Sid Vicious is actually the worst example of someone who managed to get famous while being seen wearing a bass. I just don't consider him a player. As far as ol' Iron Mike Anthony goes, he was playing next to be Alex and Eddie but not trying to be a Billy Sheehan. OK, so how does that make him a bad player? It's not like he was going for something he couldn't hit... like Dave Slave. Hold out for the faces at the end of the second clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufd13Me9wE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pUB6f1BGg

8. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Remember Kip Winger?? His open E bass lines were sad.

9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Reggie.

[​IMG]

10. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I gotta disagree with this as well...Kip Winger is a fantastic musician, song writer, and arranger. He got ripped once in a comment from that no meter having idiot that plays drums for Metallica, and since then it's been "cool" to trash Winger...

Don't buy into anything that comes out of Lars's mouth, and really give some of Kip's stuff a listen...

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    There was a clip someplace of Kip tearring it up on a Thumb Bass thru a SWR Redhead.
    I was FLOORED.
    The guy can actually play his butt off. (need to search YouTube when I get home- he was in his home studio if I recall)

There have been stories here on TB of guys who saw him when he was in Alice Cooper's band and he would take a solo, said the boy could play......

Rebopmass likes this.
  12. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    "Livin' On a Prayer" has a real nice melodic bassline. I was wondering why Jon would kick Such out of the band with a bassline that tasteful. Now I know the real deal.

13. flea, cliff burton, victor wooten, marcus miller, jaco pastorius,

man i dont know why ANYONE would want to listen to a bunch of hacks like them? how are they even famous??

listen to a REAL bass player... like.... syd vicious!

14. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I never knew about Lar's comments. I only knew about Kips time with Winger, and like I said, based on what i heard then? It was kind of generic and flat. I'll look into earlier stuff and his stuff since then, but again I can't shake that image of him waving to the crowds and striking the open e string for most of his songs.

15. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Okay? Do you disagree that straight rock-n-roll eights can groove just as hard, under the right circumstances, as syncopated sixteenths or swing as hard as a walking bass line?

I know that brothers "Dunn, Jamerson, and Weeks did (do) a lot more than the straight quarters, eighths, and sixteenths of most of those being criticized in this thread". But I also know that they would play what those being criticized in this thread play if they felt it that way. :D

16. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Well I was just going to cite myself... I made 25 bucks for a gig at the Pecan Street festival in Austin, TX years ago with my band at the time. That's pro and I'm one of the worst pros I've heard, so... does that count?

LS

17. popcorn.gif

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Kip Winger is a chode cause of the playgirl nonsense. He's like a greasy pedophile everyone worshipped at one point.

But as a bass blayer he's alright, let's stick to suck.

Mikes point about Claypool is very valid since many times he would fail to accomplish what he is suppossed to. Along those lines many players nail what they are going for, which should be an accomplishment.

So that is where we come back to Sid. Nothing to try and nail, no way to nail it, no inclination or capacity to figure out how to nail it. He was just useful to plants for the CO2 factor.

19. Just to clear things up, I don't think anyone's calling Wentz "overrated." They are calling him a "douche" and say that he "sucks at bass." Saying that someone sucks and that they're overrated are two different things. :)

What do I think? He's a whiny jerk that obviously threw away his credibility for money (which is interesting since he was so entrenched in the underground Chicago punk scene), and he's not all that good a player, but I have nothing against the guy and I'm hardly jealous. I don't even listen to Fall Out Boy. I know that he's a big part of the band. He's pretty much the face of it and spokesman, the most famous member of the band. Arguably that's like how Sid Vicious was, but I think I can say with all honesty that Wentz is a better player than Sid ever was. Maybe if Sid didn't die and went onto actually learn bass he might have been better. But he didn't. Oh well?

I remember when we used to have threads about Mark Hoppus sucking, and he's a way better bass player imho than Petey or Mr. Vicious. Definitely a dude who got a lot of unwarranted hate.

20. Yes, I do agree that straight eights can groove hard. My point was that, looking at guys like Adam Clayton and M. Anthony; they didn't audition for their roles, they simply played bass with a bunch of buddies who then all made it big. The way they played has thus helped define the sound of those bands. If they had played a different style from the start then that style would have done the defining (and maybe the bands would not have been so big? Who knows?)

My question is why don't players like that, who have and do play hours, weeks, months, years, let their playing evolve? Sure, I know, serve the song, but if it was me, I'd get bored of playing the same simple style decade after decade.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.