The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Nov 18, 2008
    Florida
    i dont get hating on Cliff Williams. hes not a bad bassist. he just plays for a band that has guitar out the butt before any bass can be heard. plus, he has a standard bass line, where its the same note that just runs, but he does that through entire songs, through the duration of a concert, etc. IMO, that would get tiring and very boring and many people would lose interest and mess up or just walk away from it after a few songs.

Wentz is ok, i dont like him, but hes not bad. he has lines that go with the music to provide body and volume to the song.

i dont have anything to say on Michael Anthony.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    +1

3. FingerPulse

FingerPulse

Apr 14, 2008
    Actually Michael Anthony DID audition for the VH gig. They were still young and hadn't made it yet, but make no mistake, he earned that job. Eddie himself has said that during the audition he and Alex threw everything they could think of at him, and he hung with them and impressed them enough to offer him the position. Just wanted to clear that up since I know my VH history and I don't like seeing misinformation being spread. :cool:

seang15 likes this.
  4. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

He's a great musician, but unfortunelty he wrote such gems as She's Only 17 & Headed for a Heartbreak.....and now he has that on his resume for ever.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm guessing like all the guys in emo bands would probably count as the worst.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    They're all better than Sid, every one of them.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I can't put Michael Anthony on the list ... Most of the time on a Vah Halen recording he can't be heard because they turn him way down in the mix ... sometimes it is just guitar, vocals and drums and some faint bass line buried in the background.

But that does not make him a bad player.

8. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Wow...now Kip's a "chode" and being compared to a greasy pedofile...unbelievable....

9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I think that's the issue with threads like this. You are only going by their recorded work and many times its only the popular stuff you've heard.

I've heard that Malcom Young is a heck of a lead player but doesn't like it so he leaves it up to Angus.

10. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I don't understand what makes Pete Wentz any worse than the guy from Green Day or other bands of a similar style of music. Not that I'm defending Wentz because I agree with that, it's just that whenever this comes up, it's always him. Is there something that makes him worse than the others?

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Cronos of the early death-metal band Venom, one of THE WORST of all time! He makes Michael Anthony look like Anthony Jackson. Watch this video from the 5:20 mark and you'll see what I mean:

12. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I have no grounds for dispute here. The evidence presented is very compelling.:smug:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.